Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

L-head to OHV swap question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L-head to OHV swap question

I plan to use the OHV stude 6 I'm rebuilding (from a 63 Lark) to go into my '55 Champion. I will use the bell housing from the OHV also, so that I don't have to deal with the dial-in procedure.

My question is; will the T-96 (OD) tranny from the '55 bolt right up to the '63 housing?

After taking out the old engine & T-96, I gave the tranny to a local guy who needed one - and I'd like to use the one that's in my '55 now. Thanks!

Tom, you are in luck - the T96 from the '55 will bolt up. Plus, it will have the 6-volt electrical components already if you are keeping the car 6v.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Tom: If any old, OLD forum members have a May 1971 SDC Bulletin (the crude forerunner of today's Turning Wheels), they are free to scan and post my 4-page article therein: Repowering Your 1955 Champion with an OHV Six.

It is my report of doing exactly that in early 1971, using the OHV six from my brother's 1962 Lark DeLuxe 2-door to upgrade the power of my 1955 Champion Regal Coupe. The trick was, he still wanted to drive the '62 Lark, so I had to make the 1955 flathead engine work in his Lark as part of the deal, which I did! He drove it that way for maybe a year before the Indianapolis STDs (that would be Salt-Transmitted Diseases) really started having their way with it.

At that time, he and a buddy and many beers and several cubic feet of oxygen and acetylene together created the world's first (and, judging from the appearance of the completed project, hopefully only,) 1962 Larkamino, oxygenating the sheet steel across the roof behind the rear edge of the doors and across the top front of the rear fenders. And with a little plywood....well, you get the [horrifying] idea.

Thankfully, no photographs were taken when the project was "done," because it was indeed done in more ways than one...although he actually continued driving it that way until winter realities caught up with it. (Sanford & Son's oxidized-red-paint Ford F1 was a 400-point show truck by comparison.)

Anyway, the OHV six proved a good idea for the '55 and you'll enjoy doing it. I do not have a scanner, so I've already photocopied the article and will snail-mail the copy to you this afternoon. (Remember, this was SDC's national publication in 1971, not today's glamorous Turning Wheels! <GGG>) BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Wow! Thanks! and may I say COOL BEANS!

Comment

It was mailed at the Brownsburg Post Office about 2PM this afternoon, Tom.

BTW, as Paul says: I did leave my '55 Champion six volts with the OHV engine. 'Ran and drove fine and the overdrive still worked. (Actually, I "broke" the engine/trans combos at the bellhousings, so my '55's clutch and overdrive stayed in it. Bellhousing check and alignment? What was that? <GGG>)

You're welcome and Merry Christmas. BP
          Last edited by BobPalma; 12-01-2010, 08:38 PM. Reason: Paul's observation about 6-volt electrics
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Seems like I remember from a previous topic that the OHV 6 would not fit in an early coupe (53-55) due to clearance issues. So will it fit in a 53 Champion also?

Richard Burks
            Middle TN chapter
            53s
            57 Transtar
            My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
            sigpic
            Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
            in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Comment

Originally posted by Studeous View Post
              Seems like I remember from a previous topic that the OHV 6 would not fit in an early coupe (53-55) due to clearance issues. So will it fit in a 53 Champion also?

Richard Burks
              I can only speak to a 1955 "C" body, Richard. It fit fine. About 3/8" clearance to the underside of the hood from the oil filler cap, but I had to hammer a slight flat spot on the air cleaner housing (not much) to keep it from brushing the underside of the hood.

Ironically, my old '55 exists today(!) in a barn up near Sheridan IN, with the OHV six still in place. I know the guy that owns it, but I don't think it has run in at least ten years...probably more. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

A fella in our club has a 170 OHV in his 53 coupe, no clearance problems that I could see.......

Comment

I put an OHV 6 in my 59 Lark years ago & the only problem I could see afterwards was that you might not be able to remove the valve cover to adjust the valves, but like Bob, I just slapped it in not knowing anything about dialing in the bell housing, or (fortunatly for me) the OHV came out of an automatic so there wasnt an issue with the flex plate bolts.
                  59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                  60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                  61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                  62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                  63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                  64 Zip Van
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                  66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
                  X