Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Fuel Sending Unit Gasket Sealant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chucks Stude
    replied
    Ok, I took the sending unit out, and it turns out one screw hole has been bent up. Is there anyway to fix this without pulling the tank, draining the gas(not much left), etc? It is more of a burr, but trying to tap it down does no good. Any suggestions?

Leave a comment:

• leyrret
    replied
    If you are not sure which material(other than cork) applies to your gasket I suggest you soak it in a jar of gasoline for a couple of days to find if it will be effected. Neoprene will not stand up to gas. You can easily pull it into with your hands. You need nitrile or viton. So if your not certain i would check it. I just use cork with Permatex or Loctite #2 non-hardening avaition. You can also seal the screws with it instead of the copper gaskets. Also-If your cork has shrunk soak it in water.
    Last edited by leyrret; 12-01-2010, 04:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• johnod
    replied
    Originally posted by Chucks Stude View Post
    There don't seem to be any neoprene gaskets out there. They are on backorder according to Chuck Collins. Guess I'll get cork, and Form a Gasket.
    Ebay item, you'd have to check part number?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Leave a comment:

• Chucks Stude
    replied
    There don't seem to be any neoprene gaskets out there. They are on backorder according to Chuck Collins. Guess I'll get cork, and Form a Gasket.

Leave a comment:

• johnod
    replied
    Originally posted by (S) View Post
    If the original type cork gaskets don't fix it, there is a newer neoprene version. I think corks are 2.50 and neoprene is 3 bucks. I have some if you don't find them.

I worked on a tank once that would not seal and had to make a dolly to fit inside so I could hammer down the holes which had been stretched from over-torque.
    I'd be interested in a couple. Have you got the cork or neoprene?

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Jeff_H
    replied
    Big mistake I made on one of those was red silicone engine gasket sealant applied to the gasket on both sides and the screw threads. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

But: Gasoline swells it up and turns it into jelly and globs of it fell into the tank where they got sucked into the fuel line and plugged up the filter.

After cleaning that all up I put it back together dry I think and no problems since. I think that sender came with a rubber gasket but its been too long since and I am not sure anymore. There are supposed to be copper washers under the screw heads too.

Leave a comment:

• (S)
    replied
    Whats the saying? Insanity is repeating the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?

Try this:

I worked on a tank once that would not seal and had to make a dolly to fit inside so I could hammer down the holes which had been stretched from over-torque.

Leave a comment:

• r1lark
    replied
    I too have had problems with the neoprene. I use cork, but spray it with Kopper-Coat sealer or similar.

Leave a comment:

• Green53
    replied
    We tried the neoprene gasket on my 53 last year and it still leaked. Switched to the cork with aircraft sealer and it fixed it. Be sure to get the special washers as well. They are a one time use part.

Denny L

Leave a comment:

• jcluvsu
    replied
    I used Form a Gasket on my Nash Metropolitan's sending unit gasket and no more problem leakage. Good stuff!

5brown1...your 2 cents is now up to 4 cents with mine thrown in.

Leave a comment:

• 5brown1
    replied
    Use cork and aviation Form A Gasket. It is gas resistant. Don't over tighten. It is pretty easy to have the neoprene gaskets deform. Just my two cents acquired through experience.

Leave a comment:

• tbredehoft
    replied
    Corks are a one-time use, they shrink immediately upon removal. I've gone to neoprene, in the hopes that I have bought my last tank gaskets.

Leave a comment:

• jackb
    replied
    some corks are on eBay right now...

Leave a comment:

• Chucks Stude
    replied
    Thanks, I'll get a neoprene gasket, and no sealant.

Leave a comment:

• (S)
    replied
    definately been there!

If the original type cork gaskets don't fix it, there is a newer neoprene version. I think corks are 2.50 and neoprene is 3 bucks. I have some if you don't find them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X