Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Antifreeze (again) Now I'm confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antifreeze (again) Now I'm confused

I read a couple of threads about this and thought I would be smart and go shopping for a few gallons of the correct stuff since I thought I knew what to avoid. Nearly all the Antifreeze I saw makes claims of long life, yada, yada, yada.

However, I was armed with my trusty printed note about what to avoid. Like anything labeled OAT, H-OAT, OR N-OAT. According to my trusty note, I should get plain old ethylene glycol. However, every container I looked at said it contained ethylene glycol and diethylene glycol. There was no mention of OAT, H-OAT, OR N-OAT.

I was expecting to see better labeling with specs similar to motor oils that would explain clearly what I needed to buy. Since I already had about 3 gallons of antifreeze at home, I decided that I would just return home and adjust the coolant in 4 of my Studebakers and my old tractor with what I have.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

John: Here is the easiest way to tell if you are getting old-style ethylene-glycol anti-freeze:

If the container says words like "Use in Any Car, Any Color Antifreeze," "Universal Replacement; mixes with any anti freeze in any car," or words to that effect, that is the product you want to AVOID!

It doesn't get much simpler than that, period. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks Bob, unfortunately, one of the containers I had was the wrong kind. That was what I had dumped in my old tractor. The other was plain old green ethylene glycol and I used it to adjust my truck engine before leaving for evening church services today.

Tomorrow, I have to go have a small skin cancer carved off and I was trying to get all the dirty chores completed. I have a feeling that I'll come back with orders to avoid dirty jobs for a few days. My wife is a sweet little nurse, but she can be a tough enforcer when it comes to medical stuff.

I just think the way they are advertising and labeling these chemicals that could cause harm to our older cars is inadequate and could put them in the path of litigation. They should be held liable for any damage they cause to an unsuspecting customer's vintage engine.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
      X