Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

2,3 or 4 row core?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StudeDave57
    replied
    Originally posted by cliffh View Post
    My radiator guy has been in the business for 40 plus years and he also would not use a 4-row core with the Studebaker tanks. It's not that they won't fit. It's that the front top and bottom seams between the tanks and the core no longer have room for a return bend in the edge of the tank metal and is therefore too weak. He said he would build one if I insisted but he wouldn't gaurantee it.
    I suppose some 4-row cores could be manufactured thinner than others.
    Sounds like one more reason I'm glad I DO NOT own a C/K...

StudeDave '57

Leave a comment:

• cliffh
    replied
    My radiator guy has been in the business for 40 plus years and he also would not use a 4-row core with the Studebaker tanks. It's not that they won't fit. It's that the front top and bottom seams between the tanks and the core no longer have room for a return bend in the edge of the tank metal and is therefore too weak. He said he would build one if I insisted but he wouldn't gaurantee it.

I suppose some 4-row cores could be manufactured thinner than others.

Leave a comment:

• StudeDave57
    replied
    really now...?

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
    When I had the radiator from my '65 Cruiser re cored I was told a 4 row would not fit using the stock tank. The gentleman doing the work has been in the business for a long, long time and knows his business.
    Uh oh-- I think one of us has the wrong information here.
    I just went to check, and sure enough- It's not me!!!

My '65 Cruiser has four rows.

They might be skinny rows, but they are there-- all FOUR OF THEM.
    The upper portion of the top tank, and the lower portion of the botom tank is still stock.
    A shop (ACE Radiators) in San Diego did it for me back around 1999.

FYI-- four rows fit in a '57 Commander, too!!!
    A shop in Jacksonville, FL did that one for me.

Leave a comment:

• WCP
    replied
    Apparently later Avanti II's had 2-row cores for the GM 350ci. engine. I'm not aware of when that change occurred, but Sasco supplied a 2-row core for a high performance Studebaker Avanti and it cooled just fine, probably due to better airflow through the core.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Van Veghten
    replied
    While I don't know what the Avanti came with...
    I must commend you on knowing what parts to call what...!
    Not how many cores, but how many "rows" within the "core"....excellent.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• JRoberts
    replied
    When I had the radiator from my '65 Cruiser re cored I was told a 4 row would not fit using the stock tank. The gentleman doing the work has been in the business for a long, long time and knows his business. He put a three core unit in and has been said earlier it is supposed to be as good as the older 4 row units. I have not put the car back together yet to put the newly recored radiator to the test, but I have no reason to suspect all will not be just fine.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Originally posted by Felix Benet View Post
    /Cut/In 1963-4 which of the Studebaker V8s came with heavy duty cooling?/Cut/
    It sounds to me like you are saying what did the Studes. come Standard with?
    As Mark said in hot climates sometimes they ordered heavy Duty Cooling (one extra row of tubes) and also Viscous drive or 6 blade fan.

However what was Standard on Car 6's & 8's was a Two Row with three rows optional. I have had many of the Standard 2 row re-cored with 3 rows and really never noticed any difference, but it was good for my confidence level!

With the Jet Thrust High Compression Engine or Air Conditioning, of course they used the 3 row and Viscous Drive Fan, also in Taxi, Police and heavy duty sedans, sometimes even with a Fan Shroud.

To my knowledge, no cars and maybe even Trucks, had a 4 row option.
    Unfortunately they did not have the option in those days of high efficiency fins.

Leave a comment:

• Mark57
    replied
    Radiator Core

When I had the original radiator core redone last winter, (the original was a 4 row core - HD Cooling - which made sense as the truck started its life in Az) - the fellow that did the re-core replaced it with a 3 row core (he was probably doing radiators when the truck was new).
    He told me that the new cores have many more fins per inch (as noted in a previous post) so that my new core would actually provide more cooling than the original 4 row core. Considering my temp gauge never got over the 1/2 way point even when pulling up steep hills in the summer, I can't disagree with his assertion!
    BTW, many Stude models could be ordered with HD cooling.

Leave a comment:

• Gunslinger
    replied
    What you can do is have a new core installed with more fins per inch. It increases cooling efficiency without resorting to more rows, which might complicate re-installation and fan clearance. Any competent radiator shop should be able to do that.

Leave a comment:

• Felix Benet
    started a topic 2,3 or 4 row core?

2,3 or 4 row core?

In 1963-4 which of the Studebaker V8s came with heavy duty cooling?

I have been reading about cooling and wonder what the Avanti and other R series cars came from the factory with.

Can these cars be retro fitted with a 4 row core?
Working...
X