Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

12V wiper conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12V wiper conversion

I told you I'd have a lot of stupid questions for you, so here comes another.............I've converted my '52 Commander to 12V and I'm wondering what's the easiest wiper motor to use now? I'm sure some of you have made the 6V to 12V changover and have had to find a replacement motor, so what did you use? Thanks again guys, I do appreciate it.

I went the CASO way and just put in a voltage drop... It seems to work for the past two yrs. lol

Comment

When I changed my '55 to 12 volts, I got a later motor, rewired it with the original harness and mounted it on the original base. I took the effort to dismantle the pivots and lube them with white lithium grease, too.

Comment

I did the same thing as Tom in my (ex) '52 Commander. I got the 12v motor from an early Lark type, it bolted right in. I did have to monkey with the wiring to figure out which wires to use. I also had to settle for a single speed (as original) wiper, because I couldn't find a 2 position switch that would fit in the original spot.

Comment

Originally posted by BRUCESTUDE View Post
          I did the same thing as Tom in my (ex) '52 Commander. I got the 12v motor from an early Lark type, it bolted right in. I did have to monkey with the wiring to figure out which wires to use. I also had to settle for a single speed (as original) wiper, because I couldn't find a 2 position switch that would fit in the original spot.
          My '55 has a 2-speed wiper motor, and the switch is in the middle of the dash with a tiny little pointer type knob. I can't remember what a '52 switch looks like, but maybe that helps?

nate
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

My '51 has a one-speed switch but my '53 has two-speed. The two-speed switch should fit any earlier model with that dash mount. I went 12-volt on the '53 with a later motor; bolted right in.
            I also added an intermittent switch from JC Whitless; works like a charm.

Here's an old thread to help wire the intermittent switch.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...mittent+wipers
            Last edited by rockne10; 11-27-2010, 07:31 PM.
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Working...
            X