Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Release Bearing, Collar wear plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Release Bearing, Collar wear plate

I ordered a new release bearing (throw out bearing) and it came without the collar, spring and wear plate.
    1955 Commander v8
    I do not want to damage the old parts, how do I get the old one appart so I can install the new bearing into the collar, spring and wearplate?

Happy Thanksgiving to you all and the folks that help us out.

The collar goes inside the bearing, I use a large drift punch, but the bearing on a coupe short 2/4's so the collar can be driven out by tapping on the lip in a rotating fashion. The flange is facing down when you do this. Either mark the old bearing on-the new one first so you install the collar into the new bearing the correct way, ie the one side should go against the pressure plate. To install it, i lay the new bearing face down on a piece of wood and gently drive the new one in with a hammer, again going around and around the edge till it is all the way in. This way it goes in straight and you do not twist are jam it.
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Thanks for the help

I had that figured out, but needed the moral support to go ahead and start banging on it.

thanks again for your help.

Comment

Working...
      X