Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing rust from the inside of an Intake Manifold.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've tried vinegar with zero effect, and electrolisis with bad (destructive) results, evaporust is way to slow and expensive. My choice is HCL, hydrochloric acid, I use it to remove rust at least twice a week. It's very easy to get, (home depot or wal mart) , and cheap ( $5-$6 /gal for 30%, I cut it 1/1 with water). It removes rust great for me, and doesn't bother the parent material just the ozidation. It will also remove galvanization, cad plating and chrome (but not the nickel).
    This is a rim half from a Honda I rebuilt a couple months ago. It was too far gone to fix but I wanted to see how much good metal was actually there. I soaked it for 4 hours in 15%. Nuts n bolts, etc take just a couple minutes.

Before: After:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1282.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	1855705Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1292.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	1855706
    This is the top of a Kawisaki fuel tank, I grafted into a Harley tank. It was in the 15% HCL for about 15 minutes.

Name:	20160816_190848.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	1855707

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
      I've tried vinegar with zero effect, and electrolisis with bad (destructive) results, evaporust is way to slow and expensive. My choice is HCL, hydrochloric acid, I use it to remove rust at least twice a week. It's very easy to get, (home depot or wal mart) , and cheap ( $5-$6 /gal for 30%, I cut it 1/1 with water). It removes rust great for me, and doesn't bother the parent material just the ozidation. It will also remove galvanization, cad plating and chrome (but not the nickel).
      This is a rim half from a Honda I rebuilt a couple months ago. It was too far gone to fix but I wanted to see how much good metal was actually there. I soaked it for 4 hours in 15%. Nuts n bolts, etc take just a couple minutes.

Before: After:

Name:	IMG_1282.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	1855705Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1292.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	1855706
      This is the top of a Kawisaki fuel tank, I grafted into a Harley tank. It was in the 15% HCL for about 15 minutes.

Name:	20160816_190848.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	1855707
      That looks really good.
      How long does the acid last?
      One time use only? Can you store it and re-use it?
      How is the disposal handled?
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Hi guys , nice result,
        in case of the intake manifold, how prevent/ avoid rust comme back inside ? how protect..?
        thanks

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post

That looks really good.
          How long does the acid last?
          One time use only? Can you store it and re-use it?
          How is the disposal handled?
          It works by reacting with the rust to form soluble Ferric/Ferrous salts so how long it lasts depends on the amount of rust removed and the concentration one started with. Just keep using it until it gets really slow or doesn't work.

Disposal is the way one would get rid of any acid solution and the old saying - the solution is dilution - works here! I won't recommend nuttin on disposal but I know where mine goes after is diluted. About like pouring out Coca Cola in diluted form.

As I said previously, the cheapest way to buy it is Muratic Acid which is about 31% HCL in Water. At this level you need to avoid the fumes and pour it into water to dilute it but as strong acids go, it's the lowest on the Oh Crap scale so just handle it with caution.
          Last edited by sweetolbob; 09-14-2020, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Exactly what Bob said. I'm still using the same gallon I've been using for two years, and I do use it regularly. Like Bob said, as time and use goes on its effectiveness slows when it stops working, it's done with. If you just want to clean up/strip a few handfuls of bolts, get some "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner. Two quarts is around $2.50 at Walmart. It's already 15-16% HCL but with wintergreen oil, so it smells better.

Comment

Working...
            X