Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti with no brakes

Hello fellow members.
    I have a 1963 avanti that recently lost all brakes. The pedal went to the floor and I dont know why. I have the turner brake system.Recently I had the brake booster rebuilt. Bleed the system and had no problems. When I lost my brakes I noticed the back part of the master cylinder was 1/2 filled. Could I have hit a air pocket in the brake system?
    jerry defilippi

When you state that the back part of the m/c was half full I am assuming you have a dual circuit m/c. Even if the back half was empty, you should still have half the brakes of your car that work. Not much chance of you hitting an air pocket, because if you had an air pocket large enough to make the brake pedal go to the floor, the car never would have stopped in the first place, so the assumption is air (a lot) got into the system real fast, meaning you have a fluid leak somewhere. Detect where the leak is and fix it...still does not explain why you have no brakes if you have a dual circuit m/c. When you say you lost all brakes do you really mean ALL brakes, or is the system way-soft and pedal stroke is increased. Perhaps your booster is to blame...and you have no assist, but still have brakes...is the pedal rock hard, but if you really push on the pedal will the car stop, or slow down. A little more info please. If you are brake-challenged, get the car to a mechanic to have the problem fixed, as you want to take no chances. Junior.
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Yes, I have a dual circuit system. The brakes went all the way to the floor. I had a bad booster at one time. That time the brakes were hard. This time I had nothing
      jerry defilippi

Comment

It could be a couple of things...brake booster...rebuilt or not...could be bad and fluid leaking into it. You could have a leaking front caliper or rear wheel cylinder. Between the two I would think a rear wheel cylinder would be more likely...that would require rebuilding or replacing the wheel cylinder plus more than likely replacing the brake shoes due to being brake fluid soaked.

There could also be a leaking metal or rubber brake line, or a remote possibility, silicone brake fluid being mixed with DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid, though that wouldn't explain the low reservoir in the master cylinder.

Hope you get it figured out quickly. Even the best brakes are barely good enough.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Call Jim Turner.
          IIRC, your booster is only hooked to half the master (front wheels).
          Perhaps Jim can share his experience with you.
          But....
          Having half the master half full is a sure sign of a leak.
          HTIH
          Jeff
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
          X