Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Removing '51 Champion Oil Pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing '51 Champion Oil Pan

Hey Guys- Will my oil pan clear the steering if I pull it off from under the car? Thanks, John

It should come down OK if you simply turn the front wheels to one side. If it looks like clearances are too tight for that, the best course of action is to undo the pinch bolt that holds the steering bell crank to the center pivot. Then remove the center pivot grease fitting, and undo the four cap screws and withdraw the center pivot assembly. That will alllow plenty of "flop" in the bellcrank to permit the pan to come off. It will also give you an opportunity to clean, inspect, and re-grease the center pivot assembly, which tends to be neglected.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I removed my pinch bolt and let the steering hang down like Gord says. I was retrieving a valve spring retainer I dropped while replacing the valves. Anyway, the only trouble spot is working the pan off of the oil pump pickup tube, but that just requires a little wiggling. If your lucky you won't have to do this lying on your back in a gravel driveway like I had to at the time.
      sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
        If your lucky you won't have to do this lying on your back in a gravel driveway like I had to at the time.
        You highly successful Studebaker entrepreneurs should have concrete paved driveways and paid man servants to attend to these menial tasks.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

I applaud your honesty!
          (And will admit to having been in a similar situation in the past).
          Eleventeen hours of unsuccessful fishing could have been replaced
          with a three hour (I work slow) pan R&R.
          I will never get those lost hours back..
          Thanks for sharing your agony and joy.....
          Jeff

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
          <snip>
          I was retrieving a valve spring retainer I dropped while replacing the valves.
          <snip>
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
          X