Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

63-64 Avanti brake booster chack valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63-64 Avanti brake booster chack valve

Sal broke the plastic check valve elbow while detailing our R2. Before we try and epoxy it, is there a NAPA replacement ?
    JDP Maryland

Should not be a problem getting one of those at NAPA John
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
      Sal broke the plastic check valve elbow while detailing our R2. Before we try and epoxy it, is there a NAPA replacement ?
      Did a forum search and found this.

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Res...word&Nty=1&N=0
      Bob Langer
      Glenshaw,PA

Comment

lets us know how it goes

I had the same problem and 4 orders later, still nothing that actually fits. Current repops fit too lose.

Comment

I've seen rebuilts with the notches in the hole removed and a grommet installed to accept a generic check valve. You may be able to find a grommet that will fit the hole without any mods and again just use a generic valve.

I haven't seen the Avanti style that twists and locks anywhere.

Comment

The check valve on my Avanti I got from Nostalgic Motors.
            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Napa 89000
              64 GT Hawk (K7)
              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
                I think the problem with the parts store replacements is they are straight, not 90 degrees and that does make a small problem. Last one I sent in for rebuild came back with an enlarged hole in the booster and a Ford check valve which worked, but looked different from the original.
                You might also check with Jon Myer. I got a correct one from him several years ago.
                Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

The one I got from SI a few year ago was a feal PITA to get in and locked.. but I did it and the problem was solved.

Comment

This is an old thread, but I thought I would ask if the NAPA "UP 89000" part number (as suggested above by 64V-K7) is a direct replacement for the right angle style vacuum line plastic check valve, as used on the original 1963-64 Avanti vacuum booster? Checking on the the www.napaonline.com web site, this part number certainly appears to be a good physical fit/replacement for the original Studebaker part. Is it??
                    Last edited by Mangusta1969; 04-15-2012, 03:30 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Originally posted by Mangusta1969 View Post
                      this part number certainly appears to be a good physical fit/replacement for the original Studebaker part. Is it??
                      I use then on an Avanti and a GT Hawk. They fit fine, but one proviso..(the China syndrome) .. I find out that you have to check them at the counter. They're only supposed to flow in one direction, so if you can blow thru both ends, the unit is bad.. It took 2 or 3 to get a good one....back then
                      64 GT Hawk (K7)
                      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

64V-K7, thanks for the super-fast reply to my question on the old thread.

Our winter finally seems to be ending, so I am going to bring my 63 Avanti out of its long winter sleep in the next week or two. One of the first goals this year is to replace the OEM single circuit master cylinder with a more modern design dual circuit master cylinder and some new hard and some new flexible brake lines. The un-installed new master cylinder and assorted brake lines have been sitting in the Avanti all winter long, but spring seems to be happening here in northern NV. If the brake update works out OK, I also have a new (T-bow modified) Mallory Uni-lite distributor that should also be ready to enter service shortly.

Comment

When I examined the NAPA website yesterday, the UP89000 appears to be a grommet mounted unit, as opposed to the twist-to-lock unit used in the '63-64 Avantis.

Comment

yes, mine are grommet mounted
                            64 GT Hawk (K7)
                            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

So, the gromet style fits with mods, or? I still need to find one that works. The last 2 I did find sucked! (vaccum leak )

Comment

Working...
                              X