Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

289 rear seal replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 289 rear seal replacement

Anybody ever changed the rear oil seal on a 62 289 in a GT Hawk with the engine and the 4 speed still in the car? Can I get the oil pan off easily? Will I have to raise the engine to get the pan off? Do I need any special tools to remove the old seal and replace the new one?

I have seen a split seal to do the job and am up to the work...just looking for any helpful hints.

Are you sure it is the seal leaking? I thought so on my 64 cruiser ended up just replacing the pan gaskets they usually fail first. I did it in the car and raised the engine up enough to get the pan off with a floor jack and wood blocks on the pan and since I had it outta the way I replaced the bushing on the bellcrank.
    Enjoy

Comment

I've done this several times by the shop info......challenging...follow the book...

Comment

Agree with LOVR, replace the pan gasket first. I did that, and dried the engine right up. Still burning the coke off of the exhaust pipes after a year, but the engine is dry. Also, check your center valley gasket, distributor gasket, as all of these tend to leak down the back of the engine, and look like a seal. If you can pull the dust cover off of the transmission, and it is dry behind the dust cover, it is not the seal.

Comment

Originally posted by Chucks Stude View Post
          Agree with LOVR, replace the pan gasket first. I did that, and dried the engine right up. Still burning the coke off of the exhaust pipes after a year, but the engine is dry. Also, check your center valley gasket, distributor gasket, as all of these tend to leak down the back of the engine, and look like a seal. If you can pull the dust cover off of the transmission, and it is dry behind the dust cover, it is not the seal.
          Is it a gasket or "O" ring on the distributor?

All great ideas. Things that I had forgotten to even look at. Thanks to all of you guys.
          Last edited by jcluvsu; 11-18-2010, 09:02 PM.

Comment

There is a gasket on the distributor base. Also check the rubber hose for the oil pressure gage. Jim

Comment

Downdraft tube as well....... Mine was loose and leaking - couple of turns on the bolt that goes into the valley cover worked wonders.
              Morris Van Horne
              1954 Commander

Comment

Working...
              X