Avanti Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Engine

Is there any way to cross reference an avanti engine # R 2888 with a serial # for the car? Does the Studebaker Museum maintain a registry of production #'s?. Any ideas? Help will be greatly appreciated.

The Museum can provide you with a production order for YOUR car which will contain both the engine number and the serial number, as well as a listing of all other options it came equipped with. And registers have been created for the R2, R3, and R4 cars, but not for more "ordinary" Avantis.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Skip is correct, unless you PAY for a MAJOR, MAJOR search of all Avanti Production orders, there is no way to go from Engine number to Serial number.

One cheaper way I can think of, would be to post an ad in Turning Wheels searching for information on the Engine Number, so IF a Club Member has an Avanti that shows your Engine number on their car's Prod. Order they can contact you.

Since this is an early '63 Avanti R1, that would work, as the Engine number is sequentially numbered NOT Date coded.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 11-16-2010, 12:27 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

My Avanti 63 R-2386 finished it's assembly on New Year's Eve 1962 and it's R1 engine is engine # R-1786.
        Attached Files
        sigpic
        John
        63R-2386
        Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

John, your car had an Orange vinyl interior,,,COOL! Seems all the FL cars had a/c and tinted windows. Mine all have.

Comment

Thank you all for your help regarding my engine identification. Great ideas everyone. Will follow up on the info...

Comment

Working...
            X