No Brakes - 63 GT Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Brakes - 63 GT Hawk

The brake pedal has no pressure and goes straight down to the floor.
    I went to check the fluid in the master cylinder which has the cap under the rug on the drivers side floor.
    The rug is tacked down by screws and I cannot easily remove without tearing up the rug.

Is there another way to check the fluid from the outside under the car door or from the engine bay?
    My friend says crawl under the car and unloosen the Master cylinder cap bolt and sitck my finger in to see if any fluid is there. Tough way to do that.

Your friend's idea is the ONLY way, until you remove that poorly installed carpet ot cut the hole open and install the rubber cover that some Studes. used.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

There is a brake fluid reservoir under the hood on the passenger side firewall. It is 2 1/2 " round and 5" tall remove the cap and check for fluid. It has a metal tubing running from it across the back of the engine compartment down to the master cylinder. If the entire system is out of fluid check to see where the leak is.
      Allen

Comment

Originally posted by satdoc2 View Post
        There is a brake fluid reservoir under the hood on the passenger side firewall. It is 2 1/2 " round and 5" tall remove the cap and check for fluid. It has a metal tubing running from it across the back of the engine compartment down to the master cylinder. If the entire system is out of fluid check to see where the leak is.
        Allen
        Some have the resevoir, some don't. I would pull the wheels and see what is leaking. If there are no tell tale signs there you probably have rusted brake lines and it's time for a total overhaul.

Allen
        1964 GT Hawk
        PSMCDR 2014
        Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
        PSMCDR 2013
        Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by satdoc2 View Post
          There is a brake fluid reservoir under the hood on the passenger side firewall.
          Allen
          That is ONLY true of Disc. Brake Hawks, and VERY few drum Brake cars special ordered with the resevoir or after-sale Dealer installed. So you are probably back to square ONE!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Just look under the hood, Ckeck for reservior. If not their, jack up the car. Take the cap off the master cylinder and stick your finger or a curved object into the cylinder to check for fluid. Simple.
            Allen

Comment

Be very careful to first clean the area around the filler cap before checking the fluid - Accidently getting even a small bit of dirt into the MC could destroy it.
              Also, my '63 had factory disc s, but no remote resevoir. Installing a dual system MC (as w/ a Turner system) and/or remote res. is a good idea.
              Paul K

Comment

I've placed a sheet of cardboard under my '63 Hawk and slid under and unscrewed the cap (after loosening with a pliers, an open end wrench would be better) and stuck my index finger into the reservoir. I patched my floor pan and installed new carpet and didnt want to cut a hole through the carpet. Not sure how I would add fluid if ever needed, guess I would need to use a squeeze bottle of some sort as there is little clearance between the cap and the floor.
                sigpic
                In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

When I had carpet put in my car, the upholstery guy cut the heal pad out of the carpet, and put velcro on 3 sides, so I can pull the heal pad, and not mess up the carpet. Works pretty well.

Comment

Working...
                  X