Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Retrofitting a later swinging pedal assembly on an early Lark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FWIW, having driven a 60 Hawk and some other Hawks, lots of 40-50s Studebaker cars, and a bunch of Kaisers versus some swing pedal Larks, I MUCH prefer the feel of the through the floor type. Now, if there was a reasonable way (simple bolt in) to have a through the floor dual master cylinder with a cowl mounted remote filler, I go for that!

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B PEI View Post
      Now, if there was a reasonable way (simple bolt in) to have a through the floor dual master cylinder with a cowl mounted remote filler, I go for that!
      Before I totalled my Hawk, my plan was to add a second master NEXT to the stock
      master, from what I could tell, it would only require longer bolts through the frame
      and linkage to drive the second master. But that does not get you power assist. It
      is possible, based on my experience with my '60 Hawk, it isnt needed.

Tom
      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Fifty-five was the 1st year for power brakes in Studebakers. However, at one time I had a '54 Starliner on which I installed a power brake booster and lines from a '55. As I recall, it had a different feel but I think it stopped no better than before.

So I really don't see a need for a power booster with the '54-on brakes. My LC stops just fine without one. And being a "leave well enough alone" or "don't fix what ain't broke" kinda guy, I'd NEVER attempt to install the hanging pedal in a car not designed for one.

My .02 worth.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B PEI View Post
          FWIW, having driven a 60 Hawk and some other Hawks, lots of 40-50s Studebaker cars, and a bunch of Kaisers versus some swing pedal Larks, I MUCH prefer the feel of the through the floor type. Now, if there was a reasonable way (simple bolt in) to have a through the floor dual master cylinder with a cowl mounted remote filler, I go for that!
          JDP sold me a Mitsubishi (I think?) MC that is supposed to be a bolt on for the Turner MC bracket and has the same size bore as the original MC and it does use a remote reservoir. I have not installed it yet because I've had other things to do and the original single MC is still working well.

nate
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Working...
          X