Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

V-8 Water pumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-8 Water pumps

Which of our great vendors has the best ?......Quality and price wise.
    sigpic
    1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
    Lewisville,NC

there are 2 good ones

There are 2 good ones I have run across, not sure how many are actually out there.

I'll call one the LS pump which is made of all new parts and has a larger 'improved' bearing and is a good pump.

I'll call the other one team USA which has a newer version of the original bearing and is also a good pump.

Stay away from rebuilt pumps, old stock pumps or anything that does not sound like one of the pumps I mention. I stock both of these pumps and nothing else.
    Last edited by (S); 11-13-2010, 01:27 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Ken,

I get mine from Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker. Great guy and excellent prices.
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Another thumbs up for Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker. Great guy.
        Mike
        Fort Worth, TX

1964 Avanti R2 #R-4986

Comment

I would like to replace mine too, before a long trip. Would someone be more specific. Heavy duty? Regular?
          What is LS or team USA? Don't someone make a HD new one ?

Comment

I'm not sure what Phil stocks, or how much it is. He probably has the same type I do. All new parts, new bolts, gasket and copper washers, pre tested for quality, made in USA. They are 80.00 plus shipping of about 8 bucks to the East.

Comment

Here are some pictures comparing the two water pumps. Reg vs. heavy duty. The end of the regular one snapped off, I believe, due to the load of the A/C. You pay a little more for the heavy duty, but the peace of mind is worth it.

Comment

Who has the NEW HEAVY DUTY pumps for sale? And do they replace the late 51 up pumps?

Comment

Just to clear up a point about "heavy duty" pumps....the bearing itself is essentially the same between the two pumps. The body casting is what is beefed up. The bearing used in all '50 & newer studebakers uses a 5/8 shaft & 1 & 3/16 o.d. outer race. Unless someone specifically special ordered some ball-roller bearings for the v8 applications (there were none available when I was building pumps), the bearing will be of ball-ball construction. This means there are 2 rows of ball bearings inside the bearing (ball-roller styles have one row of balls and one row of rollers....which increases the load capability greatly).

Anybody running AC should consider the thicker bodied pumps. The other advantage of running new construction pumps (compared to rebuilt originals) is the mechanical seal. The new pumps have much better seals (unitized construction) than the originals.

I don't have my files handy at the moment, but I seem to think the '51 had a different hub.....I'll be able to check it out tomorrow.

My company supplied pumps to SASCO from the mid-sixties till about 1970 if I remember correctly (again.....too many brain cells flushed away to remember for sure at the moment).
                  Mike Sal

Comment

I was looking at this bearing/seal repair kit for a Heavy Duty pump that I have taken apart on a press.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Is this NOS repair kit "dicey" to buy and install in my HD core?

Allen
                    1964 GT Hawk
                    PSMCDR 2014
                    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                    PSMCDR 2013
                    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Its being sold by raylinrestoration.com that should sound familiar
                      Mabel 1949 Champion
                      Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                      Gus 1958 Transtar
                      The Prez 1955 President State
                      Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                      Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
                      Fresno,Ca

Comment

Who has the NEW heavy duty water pumps for sale for late 51 up?

Comment

Look at the comparison pics.....the HD pump is designed for a viscous or thermal clutch to bolt to it ,thus, the nose pilot is longer.
                          (the projection in front of the flange sticks out further).
                          [If] you use with a regular fan spacer, it will not tighten before it bottoms out on the spacer.
                          You must counterbore the spacer deeper.
                          Bez Auto Alchemy
                          573-318-8948
                          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Yes, I did counterbore my fan spacer. Also, had to shorten the studs by about an 1/8". I purchased the HD pump from Chuck Collins. So, I would assume all Stude vendors can get them.

Comment

Originally posted by Chucks Stude View Post
                              Yes, I did counterbore my fan spacer. Also, had to shorten the studs by about an 1/8". I purchased the HD pump from Chuck Collins. So, I would assume all Stude vendors can get them.
                              I just want to get this right. I have a Clutch fan and fan, from a Avanti. I would like to put it on a 1962 Hawk. But I don't have the Avanti spacer. But I should put a HD pump on the Hawk. So I then would be able to mount it by Drilling out the spacer to the right depth and shortening the bolts accordingly. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X