Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dana 44 axle shims

Hi,
    I'm installing new axle bearings in a 63ish dana 44 TT, and need to reset the end play. A few calls have turned up no one who has the shims. Does anyone know if there is a vendor who sells them?

Thanks!

Lebster

I just Googled Seattle-spicer-parts and got two hits. I'll bet you could find quite a few in the area. Look for folks that deal in 4WD parts. Dana 44's are ubiquitous in 4WD's. there's a lot of 'em also.

Spicer owns Dana.

Hope that helps and welcome.

Bob

Comment

Dana 44 axle shims

Thanks for the reply, I did contact Randys Ring & Pinion, one of the larger rear end shops in the area, and was told they don't list anything for the Stude axle. They said because they have thousands of shims, they would not have a chance to find one even by comparing it to the one I have. SI also said they don't have new ones, and sold all the used ones they had. Still looking...

Comment

Check your PMs
        Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
        Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

what does the shim look like? we sell tab style shims out our shop.
          1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

Lebster,

If you do find any shims, in the Seattle area, I would like to know, as I am in need of some also.

Thanks,

Scott

Comment

I got some from Studebaker International recently.

Comment

Try jeep vendors. All the old 44's used the tapered axles. http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.as...ign=CJ_ProdCat

Comment

Dana 44 axle shims

Hmm,
                  I'm sorry, what are PM's? Also, it is difficult to give exact measurements of it, but it is 4.38 OD, 2.76 ID, has (4) .406 dia holes, unequally spaced at approx 45 degrees, and (1) .437 hole at the bottom, (for oil drain, I assume), and a flat across the top of the OD. I will try some 4x4 vendors to see what they have. I do know that many other makes that use the 44 have different flange bolt patterns, and wonder if this one is specific to Stude?

Thanks everyone!

Comment

PM= private message, check the upper left portion of the forum page and click on private message. Somewhere on the right it on the main forum page it should say #of notifications. You must be logged in to view the PM
                    Originally posted by Lebster View Post
                    Hmm,
                    I'm sorry, what are PM's? Also, it is difficult to give exact measurements of it, but it is 4.38 OD, 2.76 ID, has (4) .406 dia holes, unequally spaced at approx 45 degrees, and (1) .437 hole at the bottom, (for oil drain, I assume), and a flat across the top of the OD. I will try some 4x4 vendors to see what they have. I do know that many other makes that use the 44 have different flange bolt patterns, and wonder if this one is specific to Stude?

Thanks everyone!

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                    57 SH (project)
                    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Originally posted by Lebster View Post
                      Hmm,

Thanks everyone!
                      I sent you a private message (PM).
                      I have LOTS of those shims. They are different thicknesses- so I can send an assortment.
                      Always install with the thinnest one's first...and your thickest @ the backing plate.
                      Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
                      Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

Axle shims

FAIRBORN STUDEBAKER has axle shims

Comment

Working...
                        X