Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Stock Tire Size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock Tire Size?

What was the stock tire size for a 60 Lark VIII Regal Wagon? need to get a set priced for tomorrow. Nothing like waiting till the last minute.
    1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

According to a specification chart that I picked up at the meet in Lancaster PA a couple of years ago the 1960 Lark VIII and Silver Hawk V8 had a tire size 6.40 x 15.
    No mention of wagons just whether vehicles were 6 cylinder or V8.
    sigpic
    55 President Deluxe
    64 Commander
    66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Shop manual lists 6.40x15 as standard and 6.70x15 as optional size for wagons.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

thanks fellas. planning on putting something on tomorrow to make it a roller again!
        1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

It won't matter much what WAS on there in 1960, because about all you can buy today that marginally works on a 4 1/2 in. wide wheel is a P205X75R15 the 195 would be closer but is NLA.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I think the 205x75R 15 is the way to go. I put a set of Coopers on my '59 Lark VI and they are performing well.
            I got the white sidewalls.
            Rog
            '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
            Smithtown,NY
            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I put 215/70/15's on my Hawk
              Current projects: '56 Stude Power Hawk

Future projects: '56 Stude Sky Hawk ; '68 Buick Electra 225 ; '53 International R-110 P/U

Comment

I think to get the same ride height and speedo circumference you would have have to go to about 215/75/R15 as a replacement for 6.70. Pictures of OEM tires side by side with modern equivalents have been posted here on the Forum. However, to do that SAFELY you would have to get a wider rim, such as the Ford 15 x 6 used on LTD and Marquis etc up to the 90s. I run on the Ford rims, and have a stock of 8 NOS OEM Fords for future use. You MUST used the Ford lug nots, NOT the Studebaker lugs, with the Ford rims due to angle of the acorn nut!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B PEI View Post
                  However, to do that SAFELY you would have to get a wider rim, such as the Ford 15 x 6 used on LTD and Marquis etc up to the 90s. I run on the Ford rims, and have a stock of 8 NOS OEM Fords for future use. You MUST used the Ford lug nots, NOT the Studebaker lugs, with the Ford rims due to angle of the acorn nut!!!
                  Good words, Jim. I appreciate your caution about the necessity of using Ford wheels and lug nuts when oversize tires are desired.

Be sure to put a 13/16" lug wrench in the car when doing that! BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                  "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B PEI View Post
                    I think to get the same ride height and speedo circumference you would have have to go to about 215/75/R15 as a replacement for 6.70. Pictures of OEM tires side by side with modern equivalents have been posted here on the Forum. However, to do that SAFELY you would have to get a wider rim, such as the Ford 15 x 6 used on LTD and Marquis etc up to the 90s. I run on the Ford rims, and have a stock of 8 NOS OEM Fords for future use. You MUST used the Ford lug nots, NOT the Studebaker lugs, with the Ford rims due to angle of the acorn nut!!!
                    Please tell me about your 8" Ford rims???
                    Brian
                    Brian Woods
                    woodysrods@shaw.ca
                    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

I think he has 8 wheels, not 8" rims.
                      Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                      50 Champion 2 door*
                      53 Commander K Auto*
                      53 Commander K overdrive*
                      55 President Speedster
                      62 GT 4Speed*
                      63 Avanti R1*
                      64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by woodysrods View Post
                        Please tell me about your 8" Ford rims???
                        Brian
                        So Brian, what have you got planned, a TUBBED Stude.? If there were such a wheel, it would never fit.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                        X