Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Curious about J,C. Whitney parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious about J,C. Whitney parts

OK guys do not throw rocks at me. I checked the brakes on my 57 silver hawk and everything is rusty and probably should be replaced. I checked prices ar Studebaker Int'l. and JC whitney. I do not know who makes the stuff for Studebaker Int'l. but the Whitney stuff is made by Raybestos. Here are the prices:

Whitney

Master cylinder $51
    wheel cylinder $30 ea.
    front brake hose $16 ea.
    rear brake shoes $44 a set
    no front shoes

Studebaker Int'l.

master cylinder $106
    wheel cylinder $48 ea.
    front brake hose $31 ea.
    front shoes $55 a set
    rear shoes $53 a set

My question is, is the whitney stuff any good or has anyone used it?

I think it is a good idea to replace the wheel and master cylinders instead of rebuilding. Am I wrong about this. Thanks

Most of my dealings with Whitney have been discouraging lately. Everything I have tried to order comes back as no longer available. That's why I deal with Studebaker vendors.
    Last edited by starliner62; 11-11-2010, 03:59 PM. Reason: I can't spell
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

Comment

I have not purchased JCW brake parts, but if they're made by Raybestos I don't think you can go wrong. They'll certainly meet DOT standards. That said, if the prices are in the same range, I think we should support our Stude vendors every chance we can. They're investing heavily in supporting us.

I would recommend replacing the brake hoses whenever the system is opened up. Rebuilding the wheel and master cylinders would be a lot cheaper than buying new, but I always replace them if new ones are available. Stash the old ones in case you need them some time in the future.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Parts from SI usually show up in a week or less. JCWhitney--who knows? Also, can someone refresh us at to their current business situation? Buyout or bankruptcy?
        KURTRUK
        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

A rebuild is always worth a try. Certainly costs less. If the honing reveals no pitting you may be good for several years. If a leak develops then replace. There have been times I have only replaced the cups @ $1 each. That's CASO.
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Try
            www.rockauto.com
            I have had good luck with them, but watch the shipping, it can run it up. frankily on brake parts, NAPA has been my best bet

Comment

J.C. Whitney is under new ownership this year.
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Will stop at JCW Tuesday and inquire about Stuebaker parts.

Comment

Quick question, the jc whitney parts are for a 4.8 litre engine. I have a two barrel carb which I believe makes it a 4.2 litre engine. Will that make a difference in the brakes. thanks

Comment

Engine displacement is not a function of what carb you have on it. A 289 is a 289.

Whitney may have those parts that have commonality with other cars. They probably don't have any that are unique to Studebaker. Parts that do share commonality with other cars are getting fewer and fewer as manufacturers are obsoleting them.

SI (and other vendors) may have high prices on some of these common parts, but the reason for that is that they don't do a huge volume business like Whitney or a jobber chain, and they also have to subsidize the purchase/reproduction of the many, many parts that are unique to Studebaker. If Ed cannot make a few extra bucks on that common master cylinder, he cannot afford to offer, say, brake shoes and adjusting plugs for a '50 Champion, which you won't find at Whitney for any money. And the Studebaker vendors offer "one-stop shopping" and product knowledge that you cannot get at a discounter.
                    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Gord,
                      thanks for the info. I checked Studebaker specs and found that a 259 cubic inch is a 4.2 liter with a two barrel carb and a 289 cubic inch is a 4.8 liter with a four barrel carb. My engine has no decal indicating which engine it is but it does have a two barrel carb. I guess it could be a 289 that someone put a two barrel on. What I was trying to ask is, wouldn't the brake system be the same for either engine? I would think so but JC Whitney says their brakes are guaranteed to fit if you have the 4.8 liter engine. That confuses me. I realize the carb does not change the liter size.

I agree with what you say about paying a little extra to SI. However, I purchased the Master cylinder, wheel cylinders and flex hose from Whitney and saved $150 plus free shipping. To me, that is more than a few dollars. I plan to buy the rest of the brake hardware from SI. As I am not a mechanic, can anyone tell me what other brake hardware I should replace (other than the shoes). Thanks

Comment

Gord is right when talking about the displacement. Both the 259 & 289 engines came with 2 barrel carbs. You need to look at the stamped number on the left (drivers) front pad of the engine just next to the valve cover. If it starts with a V its a 259, if its a P its a 289.....simple as that. Looking in a spark plug hole also you can see the piston top. If its flat its a 259, dished its a 289. Four barrel carbs were an option on most models and were available in both displacements.
                        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                        64 Zip Van
                        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

during the the last year i did a mechanical restoration on my 61 lark. always tried to find the best product at the best price, and always ended up at SI. wasted a lot of time and effort elsewhere and i am a career mechanic with strong connections in the auto parts world. Ed Reynolds is the man and we are very lucky to have him. every order got here in two days and every order was precise and correct.
                          61 lark cruiser
                          64 daytona 2dr hardtop

Comment

Though difficult I make an effort to determine where it is made and use than as the deciding factor even over cost. Giving preference to US and Canadian. Over time more often than not cheap is not cheap when dealing with imported garbage.

Comment

Working...
                            X