Mallory Unilite Ignition, Cleveland engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mallory Unilite Ignition, Cleveland engine

This Mallory Unilite Ignition distributor was already installed when I bought the engine. Surprisingly, to me, there is no vacuum advance. Can anyone explain as I always thought centrifugal advance was for high revs and vacuum for low/ no load conditions.

It probably has an electronic advance. It must be designed for knock sensors to be installed in the engine and it electronically advances the spark. My '70 Avanti has a Mallory distributor that does just that, though it's not a Unilite.

Bit of advice for a Unilite...it's a good distributor but you should add the in-line filter Mallory offers (if one is not already added). Unilites are prone to blowing out their electronics if there's a voltage spike. Personally, I believe Mallory should design the filter into the distributor since they know of that potential, but they don't...they just make the filter optional.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Mallory suppiies the Unilite distributors either with or without a vacuum advance can. The one without a vacuum advance is used primarily for high performance engines used for racing. A street engine will benefit from the use of a vacuum advance equipped distributor as the vacuum advance will add extra spark advance at part throttle such as driving on the interstate giving you better gas mileage and a bit lower engine operating temperature. Bud

Comment

Working...
      X