ballast resistor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ballast resistor

This question concerns a Ford Cleveland 351 engine but is a general problem. The distributor points have been replaced with a Mallory Unilite ignition module. Mallory specifies a ballast resistor, but the coil manufacturer recommends to remove the ballast resistor, so whatever I do I do one thing wrong. What should I do, and secondly, imagine that both manufacturers specify remove resistor, what would the consequence be if I kept the resistor? And inversely, if specified to keep resistor and I remove it?

If Mallory recommends using a ballast resistor, I would use one. Pertronix recommends the removal of the resistor when using their coil but I've had a couple of coil Pertronix coil failures in recent history when they are used without a resistor. I checked a Pertronix coil on my 62 Hawk both with and without the ballast resistor and the coil output without the resistor was about 5 kilo volts higher than with the resistor., but the coil ran considerably hotter. Most Studebaker engines won't know the difference in coil output voltage as they aren't running really high compression and high rpm like a small block Chevy with performance parts installed. Use a coil with about 1.5 ohms resistance and leave the resistor installed. Bud

Comment

The coil I had installed was a Pertronix, so I'll keep the resistor. Also considering the cost of a module as compared to what a coil would cost.

Comment

Working...
      X