Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

studebaker overdrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• studebaker overdrive

is it posibble to put overdrive from 65 model whid chevrolet engine
    to 63?whid studebaker motor?

Ofer, T-96 transmissions on 65-66 models using Chevrolet 6 cylinder engines used a different pinion shaft than prior models equipped with Studebaker OHV 6 engines like your car. You may be able to adapt the trans to fit by using a Chevrolet clutch disk, but I would lay the transmissions side by side to compare shaft length & trans mounting bolt pattern before purchasing the trans.
    Barry'd in Studes

Comment

ok then can i put chevrolet motor to lark 63?
      what canges i have to du?
      thenk you

Comment

i by by mistace overdrive for chavrolet engine i wll se what i can du maybe i reaplace it whid studebaker motore

Comment

overdrive

this is the chaevrolet overdrive trance
          Attached Files

Comment

trans

mybe you know to whic model this transs is ?
            thank you
            Attached Files

Comment

Those are both Studebaker transmissions. The overdrive transmission is for a V8 car with a Studebaker V8 engine, and the other transmission is a straight 3 speed for a car with a 6 cylinder engine. The first is called a T-86, and the second is a T-96. You could use the T86 behind a six-cylinder engine, provided you could make it fit. You would need a taxi clutch and bellhousing to do it with all Studebaker parts. The T-96 will not hold up under the torque of a V8.

Studebaker regarded six cylinder cars and eight cylinder cars as essentially different models, and there is not much commonality of parts between them in the power train and brakes. Suspension springs are different too.
              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

is the t 86 is fit to chevrolet 6 cyl or only to v8 studebakers engines?//
                thenk you

Comment

my lark is whid 6 cyl ohv engine

Comment

The T-86 in the picture looks like the common model that fits Studebaker V8s. If It came out of a car with the Chevy V8, then it ought to fit a Chevy six as well, as the Chevy six and V-8 both use the same bellhousing. But I know that '65 Studebaker Larks with the six cylinder Chevy engine came with a T-96 transmission.

If I remember correctly, '65 and '66 Studebakers with Chevy engines, either six or V8, used the Chevy cast-aluminum bellhousing, plus an adaptor plate between the bellhousing and transmission, so that a Studebaker transmission could be bolted to it. They were able to do that because the input shaft on a Studebaker transmission is much longer than the ones on Chevys. They also used a special pilot bearing.

Your best best is to find the overdrive version of the second transmission, the T-96. It will bolt right in, and use your existing drive shaft. You will also need the kickdown switch and wire harness, and lockout cable and handle.

Alternatively, if you could find the bellhousing, flywheel, and rear engine plate from a Studebaker-built taxicab, those parts should allow you to use the T86 behind your OHV six. I say "Studebaker-built" because cars built as taxis from the factory were equipped with many heavy-duty parts. Of course, anybody can put a roof light on a sedan, and call it a taxi. Factory-built taxis were special cars.

Comment

Gord my parts book check indicates that the '65 6 Cyl. WITH Overdrive used the same Bellhousing and T-86 that the V-8 used (only STD. Trans. cars had the T-96), so since his Trans. IS an Overdrive, it could be the same as '65 V-8!

They did some neat tricks to keep all of the Transmissions Borg Warner, and not have to revert to the cheap GM Trannies that were always good for 30,000 miles or whenever they blow-up, whichever comes first!!
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

is it posible to mix up tugeter the overdrive unit of the chacy overdrive to the ohv trans?
                        thenk you

Comment

hii i olsow have t 96 g-1d 7j trans for whic srtudebaker is fit and can i use it on my lark?
                          thank you

Comment

Going by the picture, not possible. The case for the overdrive version of the T-96 is different. I don't know what the T-96 G-1D 7J is. If it happens to be a short-tail overdrive transmission, you could probably swap the overdrive components from the V8 transmission over to it.

I think your simplest solution will prove to be getting the correct OD transmission for your car. Perhaps you could find a friend or relative who is making a trip to North America, and have them bring one back for you as excess baggage? A T-96 isn't all that heavy. Just ensure it is completely drained, and the cover is loose so it can be inspected by airline security.

Comment

Working...
                            X