Edelbrok 500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edelbrok 500

can anyone inform me on correct jetting for this carb for 289cu.in.
    63 GT hawk
    mark
    Houston, TX
    Mark Riesch
    New Bern, NC

There is no "correct" jetting...!

Depends on where you live. Altitude makes a BIG difference in jetting.

So does the transmission. Auto or stick.
    Even the engine condition (ring seal, valve seal, etc.) will have an effect on tuning.

Start with the stock jetting and go from there.
    READ the book that comes with the carb. It is VERY helpfull in helping the owner tune it him/herself.

Mike

Comment

I put a 500 Edelbrock on my 62 GT, and it was a piece of cake installation. Attach the electric choke to the overdrive wire on the firewall. Use heat spacer under the carb, will help heat soak, slightly. I think the orig. carb was a 487 cfm. So, not much difference.

Comment

thank you for your replies, my past experience has been with British cars with SU and Zenith carbs, I also set up and ran some side draft Webers on a Triumph. I was looking for a place to start with the jets, Sounds like what comes with it is a good place to start.

Mark
        Houston, TX
        Mark Riesch
        New Bern, NC

Comment

Originally posted by TXmark View Post
          thank you for your replies, my past experience has been with British cars with SU and Zenith carbs, I also set up and ran some side draft Webers on a Triumph. I was looking for a place to start with the jets, Sounds like what comes with it is a good place to start.

Mark
          Houston, TX
          If you have worked with SU carbs, the Edelbrock will be a piece of cake!
          Chip
          '63 Cruiser
          '57 Packard wagon
          '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
          '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Since Houston's elevation is just above sea level, try running with the original jets for a while to see how the engine performs. Edelbrock supplies a jet kit for fine tuning their carbs. The mixture can be fine tuned by changing the metering rods in the primary side of the carb without removing the top of the carburetor. You shouldn't need to make major changes to the mixture to get it where you want it . Bud

Comment

Working...
            X