Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Header? - Mr. Shaw

Bob,

It has been suggested in the Technical Talk forum several times for a header strickly for "HOW TO ....."

Sbca96 AKA "Tom" has posted some excellent HOW TO threads lately with lots of pictures which over a period of time are lost without additional posts.

I often take plenty of pictures when I repair or modify my Hawk. I've repair rusted floor boards, added (Welded) traction bars. Changed tapered axles to flanged and even added a great "Hidden" sound system to my Hawk all of which I have documented.

This would be a great feature to add to the Studebaker forum. The challenge for the moderator will be to keep any "not" HOW TO threads from a subline in the Technical Talk Forum.

Would you consider adding a sub line in the technical section strickly for the HOW TO ?

Allen

1964 GT Hawk soon to be R2 Clone
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

A link for this already appears from the SDC home page under "Tech Tips, Specs and Data". Good tech tips and procedures offered up to the Forum should be brought to the web master's attention for inclusion in that link.

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me
      ...which over a period of time are lost without additional posts.
      I don't believe ANY threads have been removed. The "search" feature on the forums is very robust and there are several ways to tailor your search to minimize unwanted results. If we had many, many "how to's" you would still need the search feature to find what you wanted.

quote:
      I often take plenty of pictures when I repair or modify my Hawk. I've repair rusted floor boards, added (Welded) traction bars. Changed tapered axles to flanged and even added a great "Hidden" sound system to my Hawk all of which I have documented.
      Post em! I'm sure they would help members here with similar problems and situations.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I appreciate the suggestion. What if those good "how to" topics actually had the phrase "how to" added to their title? You'll note that a couple of Tom's topics have that and they pop right up with a search.

If anyone has some threads that should have "how to" added to the title, the authors can easily edit/add it themselves or anyone can email the link to me OFF FORUM and I can add the "how to" to the title.

I can then post a "how to" sticky topic showing folks how they can use the search to bring up a list of the "how to" topics.

Too complicated?

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
        Woodbury, Minnesota
        sigpic
        Bob Shaw
        Rush City, Minnesota
        1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
        "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

Bob,
          I think a sticky topic on "How To" articles would be helpful. I noticed several used this format in their topic titles:
          "How To: (rest of topic title here)"

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
          The Red-Headed Amazon
          Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
          "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
          The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BShaw

I appreciate the suggestion. What if those good "how to" topics actually had the phrase "how to" added to their title? You'll note that a couple of Tom's topics have that and they pop right up with a search.
            If anyone has some threads that should have "how to" added to the title, the authors can easily edit/add it themselves or anyone can email the link to me OFF FORUM and I can add the "how to" to the title.
            I can then post a "how to" sticky topic showing folks how they can use the search to bring up a list of the "how to" topics.
            Too complicated?
            BShaw,Webmaster
            An excellent suggestion Bob (as usual)!

<h5>Mark
            '57 Transtar
            3E-6/7-122
            </h5>

Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander

Comment

I personally like the "sticky how to" better. On other newsgroups or sites I frequent, when I go thru the "sticky" section, I sometimes pick up info on something that I haven't thought of.

53commander HDTP
              53 Champion HDTP
              61 Cursed Purple Hawk
              64 Champ long bed V8
              64 Champ long bed V8
              55/53 Studebaker President S/R
              53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Kdancy

I personally like the "sticky how to" better. On other newsgroups or sites I frequent, when I go thru the "sticky" section, I sometimes pick up info on something that I haven't thought of.

53commander HDTP
                53 Champion HDTP
                61 Cursed Purple Hawk
                64 Champ long bed V8
                Kdancy, are you saying that you want a "sticky" topic for each and every "How To"? While convenient for those looking for a How To, that would add a lot of lines at the top of a forum area, in my opinion. I think what Mr. Shaw was suggesting is the best way to go - because that would just let us know to do a search for "How To".

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
                "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

Working...
                X