Avanti R1 cold air intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti R1 cold air intake

I am considering adding cold air intake to my '63 R1 Avanti. It has an Edelbrock 5 1/8 carb. An R2 intake is to small for the carb. Has anyone made this addition or know of and attachment available for the Edelbrock?

Spectre Products through jegs or Summit Racing for complete assemblies. Camaro, Firebird, or Corvette dual snorkel air cleaners, low profile. Best bet, Ebay.

Bob

Comment

The U-Pick yards are full of GM and Ford snorkle air cleaners. I actually used one from a Cadillac with fuel injection which still had the same base plate size as all the late 4-bbls. Since my battery is in the trunk where it belongs on an Avanti, I just ran flex hose right through where the battery was and through the opening in the body there. If I were doing it again, I'd look for one of the older models which has the Y-snorkel going down to the exhaust manifold and the vacuum operated switch which uses warm air off the exhaust manifold until the engine is warm or when there is high vacuum in the intake. Warm air is better for the engine unless there is a load on it. Then, when under a load, cool air will help prevent the dreaded R1 pinging.

jack vines

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Some say you can use an original R1 carb top section on an Edelbrock carb, and run an R1 air cleaner or an R2 bonnet........but I have not done it yet.

Comment

Battery in the trunk? The only thing that will prevent pinging in an R-1 engine is to feed it what it was born to suckle.....TEL fuel.
          Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
          The U-Pick yards are full of GM and Ford snorkle air cleaners. I actually used one from a Cadillac with fuel injection which still had the same base plate size as all the late 4-bbls. Since my battery is in the trunk where it belongs on an Avanti, I just ran flex hose right through where the battery was and through the opening in the body there. If I were doing it again, I'd look for one of the older models which has the Y-snorkel going down to the exhaust manifold and the vacuum operated switch which uses warm air off the exhaust manifold until the engine is warm or when there is high vacuum in the intake. Warm air is better for the engine unless there is a load on it. Then, when under a load, cool air will help prevent the dreaded R1 pinging.

jack vines

jack vines

Comment

Try using a R-3 air box and the run it to a cold air area works fine and should help some.

Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

I whipped up a stainless ring that allowed an R2 air horn to fit on a late model AFB top a while back...
              I'd do it a little thinner next time....
              Jeff
              http://rides.webshots.com/album/252519336zfFLRp

Originally posted by garyc View Post
              I am considering adding cold air intake to my '63 R1 Avanti. It has an Edelbrock 5 1/8 carb. An R2 intake is to small for the carb. Has anyone made this addition or know of and attachment available for the Edelbrock?
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
              X