Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil pump idler gear. What is the right position?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil pump idler gear. What is the right position?

Hi folks.
    I have a dummy question. I know that the answer is in the shop manual, but, presently, it's not at my disposal.
    What is the correct orientation of the oil pump idler gear (OHV 6). Is the unused keyway facing the block or the pump body?
    Have a nice day.
    sigpic

Remember, these pumps are timed with the distributor and have to be put in and the gear shaft meshed with the camshaft gear so that the distributor is in the proper position when you are on the timing marks. Turn the crank dampener to line up the marks with the pointer and #1 piston and valves in proper position (not 180 out), take a light and look thru the distributor hole at the slot in the end of the oil pump gear shaft - and distributor shaft, and line everything up for it to be in position of #1 TDC. If I remember right, the 6 has an offset shaft connection. My engine #1 distributor plug position did not match the book, I had one of the new Mallory electronic distributors and the shaft position did not match the exact location of #1 plug wire in distributor that it had stock. (nor did it match the "book" position)
    It is now a very good running engine with very good oil pressure!
    64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

I've already made the timing of the pump, with the distributor in position to be safe. Besides, when I dismantled the engine, the distributor was not in the right position, but this has no incidence at all, except for the depression line that has to be bent. I'm just worried about the position of the idler gear. I don't know if this can be of great importance, but I remember that something was mentioned in the manual.
      sigpic

Comment

I hope some others chip in with some insite, but I think the reference in the manual with the idler gear position, is really a reference to get the pump timing right with the distributor. Other than that, I can see no reason to be concerned with the idler position.
        ???
        64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

As on the idler gear, the keyway is not used (I suppose both gears are the same at the beginning), there is consequently a little space where oil can go and, maybe, interfer with the normal flow. Assuredly, it can't have a great influence, but I'm quite sure to have read something about that.
          sigpic

Comment

I wonder if what you remembered is that as on ALL oil pumps, you mark the drive gear and the driven gear teeth with a center punch to re-install them the SAME way. Most pump gears now-days are being replaced, so with NEW ones it would not be an issue.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Finally, I've found it!
              It's in the oil pump installation paragraph (page 8 - 170 OHV - oiling system - 1962 issue).
              "The keyway end of the idler gear should be installed in the pump body with the keyway end of the gear toward the cylinder block."
              Besides, the same instruction is given for the flat 6.
              That is clear now, though I don't clearly understand the reason that makes this position better that the other.

Thanks for the input and have a nice week-end.
              sigpic

Comment

I think that is a reference point for timing as the keyway is cut into the shaft in relation to the distributor end slot. My build would not match up as the mallory distributor did not have the female slot in the proper location so my #1 plug fell in a different position.
                If I remember right, it was 180 out--
                http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...d/DSCF2522.jpg
                Last edited by Kdancy; 11-09-2010, 01:53 AM.
                64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X