Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Gas-gauge sending unit questions (57GH)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas-gauge sending unit questions (57GH)

my '57 GH gas tank was pretty bad, so I got another tank from a local Stude parts guy. The 'new' tank is identical EXCEPT it's sending unit (missing) does NOT have the fuel-line integral to it, like my original unit. The 'new' tank's fuel line connects at the body of the tank instead.When did this change occur? What sending-unit would be used in conjunction with the tank-connection fuel line? I know I could use my old sending unit, with fuel-line integrated into it, and simply plug the tank-mount fitting on the new tank. But, I kind of like the fuel line mounted at the tank, and I'm not sure if my sending unit is any good anyway. For sure needs a new cork, at the very least!

I would try to keep that Sending Unit if possible, you can use it to make a cool fuel re-circulate system to return excess fuel from the fuel pump exactly like the Avanti and Jet Thrust Avanti powered '63-'64 Hawks did. That will eliminate any tendency to vapor-lock with summer driving using E10 alcohol blended fuel.

The 1958 to 1964 C & K Model Gas Tanks all use the Sender without a fuel line.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 11-07-2010, 08:26 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

thanks StudeRich, how exactly would one go about making the return system? I understand running two separate fuel lines to the tank, making use of BOTH of the available fittings, but how do you port it at the fuelpump to avoid losing pressure at the carb? Without a lot of thought or benefit of looking at the fuelpump, I'm guessing you install at "T" fitting at the outlet, so one hose goes to the carb and the other connection runs back to the tank, but seems you'd always be sending fuel back to the tank, with that open fuel line being the 'path of least resistance'? I also noticed my '57 GH requires the 'special' fuel-pump which is pressured by the supercharger just like the 'bonnet' over the carb. So again, seems adding a bypass line might mess up that system?

Comment

You are really close to understanding how this will work. You are right about the "T" in the fuel pump output line but what you missed is the special fitting '63 R1 & R2's have that is just a reducing fitting soldered up and drilled with a .040 hole to restrict the return line, which is only 1/4" line.

The Supercharger "reference" line is not wet, it is only connected to the top side of the fuel pump to increase the pressure so that the pressurized carb. and air box do not exceed fuel pump pressure. So it will not affect the return system, if it did not work it would not be used on Avanti. The other thing you need to do is use an R2 Avanti Fuel Pump, it's a Carter Super Pump and has more flow than a GH pump, still available at Studebaker Vendors.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

ok, that makes sense. I see the R2 pump on Stude intl... I'll have to check out my sending unit and see if it actually works I guess.
          thanks!
          Oh, do you have the part number for that reducing fitting that is required? Or specific name? Not finding that one....

Comment

An easy solution to the restricted fitting dilemma is to go to your local auto parts store and ask for a 70's Chrysler products fuel filter. I know some of the vans they produced used a fuel filter with a return line fitting on it that had the restriction allready built into it. Mount it between the fuel filter and carburator, run your line back to the tank and you're done.
            Frank van Doorn
            Omaha, Ne.
            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
            1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
            1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Working...
            X