Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

floorboard rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• floorboard rust

Hello,
    I purchased a 57 silverhawk a few days ago.
    Structurally it appears to be in good shape. Paint and body is good.
    The trunk floor is good. The only problem is the drivers floor. It is rusting but not all the way through.
    What is the best way to remove the rust and fix this without replacing the floor pan? Is something like fiberglass or one of those "liquid metals" something to consider? I am not into the car as an investment. I just want to get it looking pretty good, driveable, and good enough shape to last ten or fifteen years.
    When you get my age it makes no sense to tie up a bunch of money in it. Thanks for any info

If you want to drive it, and have it last ten to fifteen years and have a sellable investment, there are no stop-gap measures.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Contact Classic Enterprises (see vendors on (or associated with) the Home Page. they have exactly what you need. Real sheet metal, exact replacement pieces. Anything less is stop-gap.

Comment

It would be helpful if you post some pictures of your floor pan. The statment that it is rusting is very open to interpertation. Give us some close-ups of the worst spots so we can see the condition of the metal. Does it feel soft and flex easy when you push on it?
        Wayne
        "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X