Avanti carb & tranny mods- info needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti carb & tranny mods- info needed

63 Avanti- before I install the new motor- what model Edelbrock is best for an R1? and I have an AOD I am considering to install. Who has the adapters/ info on doing this? TIA Richard

I would suggest for street use:
    An Edelbrock 1403 (500 cfm, electric choke)
    http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/carbs_acc/performer.shtml

You will need either a Stude late AFB intake, or you will need to slightly modify a Stude WCFB intake (on the secondary throttle openings)
    Frank Van Doorn (41Frank here) and Meyers Studebaker in Duncan Falls, OH both manufacture and sell a very nice transmission adapter plate kit.
    Since you said AOD, you need to state whether it is a 700R4, or a 200R4, or tell us what model trans.
    'If' your trans requires a TV cable, this requires you add a carb riser to get enough clearance for the kickdown linkage part of the throttle shaft.
    This might cause some hood to air cleaner clearance issues, so a thin air filter element probably will be required.
    All in all, this makes for an excellent combination.
    HTIH
    Jeff

Originally posted by dixchief View Post
    63 Avanti- before I install the new motor- what model Edelbrock is best for an R1? and I have an AOD I am considering to install. Who has the adapters/ info on doing this? TIA Richard
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

This carb is the way to go......but be aware that this carb was intended for a SBC and as such will run rich. Jon Myer tweeks this carb for Stude use by re-jetting the carb lean...if not the car will suck gas like crazy.
      Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
      I would suggest for street use:
      An Edelbrock 1403 (500 cfm, electric choke)
      http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/carbs_acc/performer.shtml

You will need either a Stude late AFB intake, or you will need to slightly modify a Stude WCFB intake (on the secondary throttle openings)
      Frank Van Doorn (41Frank here) and Meyers Studebaker in Duncan Falls, OH both manufacture and sell a very nice transmission adapter plate kit.
      Since you said AOD, you need to state whether it is a 700R4, or a 200R4, or tell us what model trans.
      'If' your trans requires a TV cable, this requires you add a carb riser to get enough clearance for the kickdown linkage part of the throttle shaft.
      This might cause some hood to air cleaner clearance issues, so a thin air filter element probably will be required.
      All in all, this makes for an excellent combination.
      HTIH
      Jeff

Comment

For the trans hook up I would suggest a BowTie Overdrives TV installation kit. Not cheap and you may not use all the parts but it acts as a thin spacer and positions the cable nicely. The part of he kit that attaches to the carb allows for fine adjustment but in my opinion is odd looking and on the R2 you can see all the linkage easily whereas on the R1 it might not be as noticeable under a stock air cleaner.

TCI makes an adapter, the one I used on the carb itself, that positions the cable properly, bolts on to an Edelbrock and looks more like stock style linkage. It would also require less grinding on the intake than the BowTie linkage at the carb. On my installation the low point on the Edelbrock carb was cut off because it would require deep grinding on the manifold so I tack welded it at the bottom to position the adapter out as far as I could from the carb so it was above a low point on the intake. It would still intefere but some grinding that is very unobtrusive gave me just enough clearance. It's close enough that elimination of one gasket would cause it to hit the manifold.

The other mod, like spacing the accelerator rod away from the carb, was done to give me full opening of the carb and a full return without too much return spring tension.

Even though it doesn't look like it the carb is a modified Edelbrock not an AFB.

Comment

I market a complete adapter kit that will adapt a GM automatic to the Studebaker V-8 like deepnhock said. If interested send me a private message or e-mail by clicking on my Forum name for additional information.
          Originally posted by dixchief View Post
          Last edited by 41 Frank; 11-07-2010, 05:51 AM. Reason: spelling
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I have an AOD I am considering to install.
            FWIW, some of us may be jumping to conclusions. "AOD" is Ford terminology for their 4-speed overdrive automatics. Just because everyone here uses GM and all the Stude adapters are made for GM, they're not the only transmissions out there. (Says Jack who used the BowTieOverdrives carb and linkage kit to put a 700R4 in his Avanti, but would use a 200-4R next time.)

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

If you really have a Ford AOD Overdrive Automatic, design and build an adapter kit for Stude. V-8's and I'll buy one!

I have never heard of ANYONE having all the issues with a Ford that the GM guys have with their weak Overdrives! The THM 350 & 400 non-Overdrives were WAY better. You have to spend more beefing up a 2004R than the trans. costs, to get a good one. And the 700R4's are just not dependable at all.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My son is into Mark VII Lincolns. He's had to rebuild the AOD trans in every one, 4 total. The 700 will survive a little while with a mis-adjusted TV cable but his AOD cooked in one night when the plastic clip that holds the cable broke.

Having experience with both 700's and 200's I believe the 700 is better in the Stude and if it's a proper rebuild installed correctly it will last 100,000+. They are the transmissions used in 80's Corvettes, Cop cars and Trucks. Perfect, no, and I agree not as strong as the 400 or the 350 but alas those are not Overdrive transmissions. IMHO.

Comment

If your Avanti had 4speed would you consider going to a THM 400?

Comment

The carburetor...been told many, many times over, the manual or electric choke, Edelbrock 500cfm carb.

As for the transmission, I've used both the GM 700-4R and the GM 200-R4. While both can cost a bit to be built to Hi Perf. specs., the 200 is by far the superior transmission.
                    The strength between the two can be made pretty much the same. But the gear ratios that come in the 200-4R make for a much better ride because of all of the ratio's are simillar in drop. That is, there's an even (about850rpm) drop in all gear changes.
                    With the 700, the drop in first gear is a higher rpm beacuse of the first to second ratios.
                    If you just putt around town, you might not notice too much, but if you plan on actually getting the car out on the road, you'll be much happier with the 200_4R.

Two of my Stude's have 200-4R transmissions.

Mike

Comment

While I cannot comment on the durability of the 700r4 when installed in Studebaker's, I have owned several GM vehicles equipped with the 700r4, and in over 500,000 miles of hard usage have never experienced a transmission failure nor any transmission problems at all.
                      My 1995 Chevy G-30 'work' van now has over 210,000 miles on it, a large proportion of them accumulated while fully loaded and pulling my 28' travel trailer.
                      In moving to Kentucky back in 2006, I racked up 13,000 miles within 3 months time, hauling a fully loaded (6,000 lbs) 28' enclosed Haulmark. Note that this is no easy usage given the hills that one encounters on I-75 while climbing out of the Ohio River Valley South of Cincinnati.
                      I am always careful to tow in direct drive (except the one time- well over a hundred thousand miles ago, that I accidentally towed about 20 miles in OD, and got the tranny so hot that smoke was rolling off the case)
                      I changed the fluid and filter following that experience, and one time since.

In 'regular' driving, I love how the 700's low first gear takeoff gets me away from intersections and out in front of most slower traffic.
                      This is the reason that when I finally scrapped out my previous truck, the only part that I hung onto was its 700r4, wanting to save it for future use in one of my Studebaker's .

Comment

Thanks guys for all the info. looks like it is more of a project than I need to take on now. I have way TOOOO many projects that have to be finished. I'll just put the new motor in and drive it. I will keep the info for future reference if I ever decide to do it.

Comment

700R4's can be very solid transmissions. As with anything they have weak points. When those are addressed, the next weak point is exposed. The same is true with Kieth Black Hemi's. Do your homework and build it for your intended use and it will serve you well. I ran a prepared one behind a 600HP SBC in a truck without trouble. That said, I have seen where the 200 might be an easier fit in some applications, but for hi-po apps, you'll have to beef up the 200 as well.
                          Jim
                          Often in error, never in doubt
                          http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                          X