Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage:
See more
See less

Moving disk hubcaps

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Moving disk hubcaps

    My RR hubcap would slide on the rim. It was suggested,on this chat,the rims were old and flexed with the radial tires. Four new rims. Put the caps back on today. Caps do not move. Anyone with this problem? Be safe, replace the rims.

  • #2
    Where did you get your new rims? Are they wider than stock? I need to see about doing something on my '54 kaiser, 3 of the 4 wheel covers rotate so badly, i have to move them after a 50 mile drive.

    The kaiser rims have a little metal piece welded on which is supposed to catch into 2 tabs on the wheel cover, but the hub caps are so old they tabs won't hold their shape.
    Mike Sal


    • #3
      It's not always the wheel rim that is at fault. I had new wheels and old caps on a 1964 Daytona. I could not get the caps to stop rotating so, I put a set of steel valve stems on the wheels and solved the problem! The cap would rotate until it hit the steel stem and then stop there, never falling off, never moving further.


      Brian K. Curtis


      • #4
        There was a Stude Service Bulletin that noted this problem when the vehicles were new and the tires were bias-ply. They designed a little metal plate with two ears on it that could be epoxied to each wheel near the valve stem. I put them on my 64 Daytona 25 years ago and they solved the problem. As I recall, SASCO still had them in stock. Unfortunately, I'm not at home and can't consult my service bulletins to find the part number, but I provided in a previous thread a few months ago. A search of this site might turn it up.
        Skip Lackie
        Skip Lackie


        • #5
          Back in the 50's that used to be a problem . One thing they used was a stamped hat shaped piece that had a hole in the top that went over the valve stem the bottom hit the rim. When I had a gas station I used to see a lot of them . I don't know if you could find any today.