Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Studebaker Flasher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Flasher

Are all 60's Studebaker cars equiped with the same signal flasher unit?

I ask because the one I have is so quiet...........I want one that really is LOUD!

If it's a 2-prong unit you can easily find a loud flasher at most parts stores. The number is 552 which is a heavy duty version of the standard flasher. I know Avanti's use that so it seems logical the rest of the line does as well.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

That is the exact number in the car now.......are there numerous sound levels within this number group?
      Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
      If it's a 2-prong unit you can easily find a loud flasher at most parts stores. The number is 552 which is a heavy duty version of the standard flasher. I know Avanti's use that so it seems logical the rest of the line does as well.

Comment

Buy an old 'thermal' type flasher, and not a more modern 'electronic' type flasher.
        The older 'thermal' type flasher 'clicks' when the thermal strip heats up and pops open and closed.
        HTIH
        Jeff
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Never heard of such a thing, where do I find this...are they still made....what part number??
          Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
          Buy an old 'thermal' type flasher, and not a more modern 'electronic' type flasher.
          The older 'thermal' type flasher 'clicks' when the thermal strip heats up and pops open and closed.
          HTIH
          Jeff

Comment

The 'thermal' type flasher was all you used to be able to get.
            The 'electronic' type flasher is a recent thing.
            Showed up during the 1970's
            Just buy the cheapest of the cheap, and it is sure to be the old style.
            Or snag one out of a swap meet, or boneyard car or truck.

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

If hearing the flasher is problem, you could try this: get cheap 5 inch, 8-ohm speaker, like a car door stereo speaker from the boneyard. Solder a 16 ohm, 2 watt resistor to one lug, and a ground wire to the other. At the other end of the resistor, solder a pair of diodes, 1N4004 would work, with the arrows pointing toward the resistor, to make a "Y" . From the free end of each diode, run a wire to one of the dash telltales for the flashers. That should give you "thump/bump" sound with each flash, with about 2 watts of audio power behind it, which is quite a lot. Sort of like a rap music bass line.

If the sound is too loud, you could increase the value of the resistor. The diodes prevent one telltale backfeeding the other, and crossing the flashers up.

You could also try shunting the speaker with a low-value resistor, say 0.5 ohm, and put the whole mess in series with the power feed line to the flasher.
              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by Felix Benet View Post
                That is the exact number in the car now.......are there numerous sound levels within this number group?
                You can buy 552 flashers that are extra loud. I installed one in my Avanti since the one in it was pretty much noiseless. I believe I bought it at Advance Auto...maybe Pep Boys. Just look at their selection and read the card they come packaged in.
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Why not hook it up to a smartphone and program an App to get it to say:
                  'Left! Left! Left!'.....and 'Right Right! Right!'...
                  (Then blondes (and even Bams) could drive it
                  'Turn your signal off, Bob!..'Turn your signal off, Bob!..'Turn your signal off, Bob!..'
                  I am only here to help...
                  Jeff

Originally posted by gordr View Post
                  If hearing the flasher is problem, you could try this: get cheap 5 inch, 8-ohm speaker, like a car door stereo speaker from the boneyard. Solder a 16 ohm, 2 watt resistor to one lug, and a ground wire to the other. At the other end of the resistor, solder a pair of diodes, 1N4004 would work, with the arrows pointing toward the resistor, to make a "Y" . From the free end of each diode, run a wire to one of the dash telltales for the flashers. That should give you "thump/bump" sound with each flash, with about 2 watts of audio power behind it, which is quite a lot. Sort of like a rap music bass line.

If the sound is too loud, you could increase the value of the resistor. The diodes prevent one telltale backfeeding the other, and crossing the flashers up.

You could also try shunting the speaker with a low-value resistor, say 0.5 ohm, and put the whole mess in series with the power feed line to the flasher.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                    (Then blondes (and even Bams) could drive it

Jeff
                    Wow, even ME???? Naw, iPhones are awesome, but I doubt there's an app THAT powerful.........
                    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                    Romans 15:13
                    Deuteronomy 31:6
                    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Spoke to an engineer at Cooper/Bussman..........flasher number 577 is extra loud for Studebakers!
                      Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                      You can buy 552 flashers that are extra loud. I installed one in my Avanti since the one in it was pretty much noiseless. I believe I bought it at Advance Auto...maybe Pep Boys. Just look at their selection and read the card they come packaged in.

Comment

Working...
                      X