Wires found in Water Passages- 1950 245 cid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wires found in Water Passages- 1950 245 cid

I removed the cooling plugs from my 1950 Land Cruiser Big Six and was cleaning the crud out of my water passages..I found several pieces of steel wire about the diameter of a coat hanger in the passages...I am thinking they are remnants of another mechanic's attempt to rod out the junk...any other reason they would be in there? One piece is lodged in the passage behind the rear lower plug, just above the block drain plug. I can't for the life of me get it to dislodge...any discussion about this would be appreciated...thank you all. I want to say that I am very religious about reading my forum...you don't hear from me much, but I am a daily reader...SDC Member and Keystone Chapter Member...

Scotty, those are called "core wires" and it's perfectly normal for them to be there, and to be anchored. When the block is cast, the voids in the casting are formed by "cores" of packed sand, made in molds around wire armatures. Those cores are then placed into the master mold in which the block is cast, with the wires going into hooks or slots to locate the cores.

The sand is washed/shaken out of the finished casting, but the core wires remain because commonly, at least one end is embedded in the new iron.

Pull out what you can, and don't worry about it. An old screwdriver with a transverse slot cut in the blade may prove useful for snagging and removing them.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by Scotty Bob View Post
      I removed the cooling plugs from my 1950 Land Cruiser Big Six and was cleaning the crud out of my water passages..I found several pieces of steel wire about the diameter of a coat hanger in the passages...I am thinking they are remnants of another mechanic's attempt to rod out the junk...any other reason they would be in there? One piece is lodged in the passage behind the rear lower plug, just above the block drain plug. I can't for the life of me get it to dislodge...any discussion about this would be appreciated...thank you all. I want to say that I am very religious about reading my forum...you don't hear from me much, but I am a daily reader...SDC Member and Keystone Chapter Member...
      Those wires are the remains of the sand cores used to cast the block..they are not unusual to find. Pull what you can out, and don't wrory abou the rest. Considering that block is 60 years old and the wires are still that strong, that engine must have had some decent maintenance.
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

Comment

Thank you, Ron and Gord...I learned something new today...Scotty

Comment

Working...
        X