Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

57 Golden Hawk Identification Plate and matching numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 Golden Hawk Identification Plate and matching numbers

I am interested in a 57 Golden Hawk but I don't no how to establish the matching numbers for the car.
    Is the ID plate located on the passenger door post for all of the Hawk models? To my understanding the model number should indicate 57H-K7 for all 57 Golden Hawks. Is the engine number also on the ID plate with Ser. No.? How do I determine if the original engine is still in the car by identification numbers on the I.D. plate?
    I found a web site that lists Eng. Nos. for the Golden Hawk being PS-1,001. What does this number mean?

Originally posted by DJP View Post
    I am interested in a 57 Golden Hawk but I don't no how to establish the matching numbers for the car.
    Is the ID plate located on the passenger door post for all of the Hawk models? To my understanding the model number should indicate 57H-K7 for all 57 Golden Hawks. Is the engine number also on the ID plate with Ser. No.? How do I determine if the original engine is still in the car by identification numbers on the I.D. plate?
    I found a web site that lists Eng. Nos. for the Golden Hawk being PS-1,001. What does this number mean?
    WELCOME ...to the SDC Forum!!!

There should be one or more of the Forum's '57 Golden Hawk experts along shortly to help answer your question.

Comment

hi,
      I also have a Golden Hawk. The ID plate on the door post is the pseudo-VIN number. The engine number is stamped on the top of the engine block, by the water-pump hose outlet. The body number is on the little metal plate by the windshield, just under the hood on the passenger's side of the car (for Left-hand drive :-) This plate also has the 57H-K7 as you noted.
      I just got my production order from the Studebaker Museum, and was pleased to find all three numbers matched what is in my car. From memory, I think my car "VIN" is 6100867 (so the 867th Golden Hawk made for '57), my engine number is PS 1897 (so the 897th engine made for the '57 Golden Hawks), and the body number is 809, which I assume is the 809th Golden Hawk body put together for '57.... My production order is dated October 18th, 1956, and completed October 24th. (my birthday is October 19th, so that was kind of neat to learn!):-)

Comment

DJP, you mentioned the ID plate being on the passenger door post. Unless you have a right-hand control car, the stainless-steel plate with the stamping denoting the Serial Number is spot-welded to the left (driver-side) door hinge post, not the passenger side. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks very much for your help! I will pass this info. onto my friend that will be having a look at the car next week.
          The current owner of the car has indicated that all numbers match. I will ask him how he determined that.

Comment

Originally posted by DJP View Post
            Thanks very much for your help! I will pass this info. onto my friend that will be having a look at the car next week.
            The current owner of the car has indicated that all numbers match. I will ask him how he determined that.
            If all the numbers "match," DJP, he must have a copy of the car's Production Order. and the car's Serial Number, Body Number, and Engine Serial Number match those assigned to the car on the Production Order: They do not "match" each other, so there is no way to know if the car has "matching numbers" unless the person has a copy of the PO for reference. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
            X