Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

6V Dash Blinkers 52 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6V Dash Blinkers 52 Champion

Why is it the green indicator blinkers in the dash only blink once if that? Turn signals work good and strong, front and back. I put a new flasher unit in, one that I could aleast hear hoping the green indicators would blink but they don't. They act the same as with the old flasher unit.
    1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

Are you using the correct six-volt, three-terminal flasher? One of the terminals on that flasher is dedicated to operating the dash telltales. In later years, manufacturers went to a 2-terminal flasher, and simply connected each telltale to it's corresponding front signal lamp, for a simpler design.

At a guess, I'd say the problem is in your turn signal switch. Since the flasher has a terminal dedicated to flashing the telltales, the switch has to have a set of contacts dedicated to connecting the appropriate telltale to the flasher. It's possible that the signal switch is worn or dirty, and only making intermittent contact in the telltale sector.

Suggestion: go to an electronics supply house, and order a can of DeOxit D5. This is a special contact cleaner made for cleaning dirty contacts in switches. Antique radio guys swear by the stuff. I've used it myself, and am impressed by it effectiveness. Spray some of it into the signal switch, and operate it a few times, and repeat. If you get lucky, that may be all it takes.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Yes 6V 3 prong. I'll try the DeOxit D5. thanxs
      1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

Comment

Working...
      X