Ford (FOM?) vs Stude Flightomatic photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford (FOM?) vs Stude Flightomatic photos

Finally got my transmission pulled from my '57 Golden Hawk; it is the Ford unit. The other unit has the oil-cooler lines and was pulled from a '57 Golden Hawk (purchased it last month). The ID tag is illegible, but sure appears to have some "copper" color that would indicate it is the correct unit.
    Any information on this Ford unit (1P-7006-A)? How would I determine if it (or the Stude unit, for that matter) are first-gear shift? I plan to rebuild the tranny myself, will most of these parts interchange (and are the parts each marked with ID numbers to confirm which are the same?) I notice the pans are different, but castings on the back have the same ID number... I'm guessing many of the innards would be identical too?
    Any parts in particular that should NOT be interchanged because they are matched? Just thinking that if some of the Stude parts look more worn than the others, I'd swap the corresponding part in from the Ford tranny.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bsrosell; 11-04-2010, 04:55 PM.

Do you know if this Ford Tranny CAME from a Stude.? The reason I ask is, I think if it did, that a lot of parts could already be replaced with Stude. parts and depending on the year, it COULD have a Low gear start.

I did not think Fords had a throttle pressure control lever like that, it's the same as Stude. Most I have seen had a Vacuum modulator Diaphragm instead. Also I don't know if it is a coincidence or what, that the Ford Pan has Studebaker Turquoise Green Paint on it, or if it is old Ford Green, very much the same.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Well, I've been unable to get in touch with the "original" owner (from 1973-2004) who probably put it in. There is a crude square hole cut in the tunnel, which leads me to believe a 4-on-the-Floor was installed by some over-zealous teen in years past. So I'd like to know where the tranny came from, and whether the torque converter and bellhousing are original to the Golden Hawk or not. Even the back casting of the "Ford" transmission has same casting number as the Stude unit, so does appear like maybe ONLY the tranny-box itself was swapped out? I was also wondering about the green oil pan; the pan on the Stude unit is dented and I was hoping to swap them, but notice there is a difference between them (the Stude has a big round dimple in the corner, not sure if it is functional but also don't know why it would be placed there for no reason)

Comment

If you contact our Turning Wheels "Co-operator" Tech. advisor and my friend, John Metzker at:
        trans-fixed at earthlink.net He MAY be able to help, because he has re-built many Studes and Fords and would know how to tell them apart.

This is getting more than a bit beyond the scope of questions and answers on this forum, and also most of our expertise.
        In fact, I believe your situation is to the point of, a qualified very experienced Trans. Tech actually needing to SEE IT!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

This is all very interesting....please keep us informed!

Comment

Transmission model 1P, suffix A, is a very early Fordomatic-Mercomatic. Used on Ford V8 1951-53 and 1951 Mercury (years vary a bit depending on whose catalog you go with). It was originally built as a second-gear-start transmission.
            AL SORAN RACING

Comment

thanks Dwain!

Comment

Working...
              X