Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

New to you forum member with a New to me 63 Champ Pickup and Questions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New to you forum member with a New to me 63 Champ Pickup and Questions

    Howdy,

    Stoked to be here ! I Purchased my first Studebaker today.

    I think these little trucks are 'funky' cool and its smaller size should make it easier to work on in the relatively small space I have. Pretty excited to bring it home this weekend and get started on it. Shortly, it'll be my daily driver when I'm not riding and my weekend cruiser, so I plan to keep the 170 in it and focus my energies on cleaning it up and very lightly hot rodding it. Perhaps I'll put an exhaust on it and some wider rear wheels and tires...

    I have a few questions, though and welcome any additional expertise!

    Qs:

    Owner's / Shop Manual - best source for an on line manual?

    Floor sheetmetal - driver's side is weak with holes and will need to be replaced. Who's the best source for floor sections? I'm thinking new replacements.

    Battery size / modern equivalent. I forgot to grab the battery tonight, but want to get a new one and drop it in when I pick it up. Does anyone know which battery these used and a modern x-ref for it? Probably run and optima or similar.

    Good source in CA for window glass and channel? Both side windows are broken.

    Dumb question, but... shifting pattern for the three on the tree? It's been a while and it's parked in a bit of a precarious spot so I want to be sure I grab the correct gear the first time.

    Good source for brake and motor parts like gaskets? Specifically i expect top replace the soft lines and an upgrade the master cylinder. I'm already eyeing a turner front disc kit for later, so would prefer to upgrade to a master that would work with those too.

    Anything important to watch out for? The truck seems like it was well-maintained for the last 30+ years and starts/runs well, so im dangerously hopeful. I plan to clean it as best I can, flush all the fluids, clean all the wiring contacts, put in all new filters etc... before changing anything.

    Any and all help appreciated!

  • #2
    Originally posted by hdh View Post
    Howdy,

    Stoked to be here ! I Purchased my first Studebaker today.

    I think these little trucks are 'funky' cool and its smaller size should make it easier to work on in the relatively small space I have. Pretty excited to bring it home this weekend and get started on it. Shortly, it'll be my daily driver when I'm not riding and my weekend cruiser, so I plan to keep the 170 in it and focus my energies on cleaning it up and very lightly hot rodding it. Perhaps I'll put an exhaust on it and some wider rear wheels and tires...

    I have a few questions, though and welcome any additional expertise!

    Qs:

    Owner's / Shop Manual - best source for an on line manual?

    Floor sheetmetal - driver's side is weak with holes and will need to be replaced. Who's the best source for floor sections? I'm thinking new replacements.

    Battery size / modern equivalent. I forgot to grab the battery tonight, but want to get a new one and drop it in when I pick it up. Does anyone know which battery these used and a modern x-ref for it? Probably run and optima or similar.

    Good source in CA for window glass and channel? Both side windows are broken.

    Dumb question, but... shifting pattern for the three on the tree? It's been a while and it's parked in a bit of a precarious spot so I want to be sure I grab the correct gear the first time.

    Good source for brake and motor parts like gaskets? Specifically i expect top replace the soft lines and an upgrade the master cylinder. I'm already eyeing a turner front disc kit for later, so would prefer to upgrade to a master that would work with those too.

    Anything important to watch out for? The truck seems like it was well-maintained for the last 30+ years and starts/runs well, so im dangerously hopeful. I plan to clean it as best I can, flush all the fluids, clean all the wiring contacts, put in all new filters etc... before changing anything.

    Any and all help appreciated!
    Welcome aboard !!
    I would advise you to first join the SDC (Studebaker Drivers Club) and receive their monthly publication. Almost everything you asked will be in there. The Studebaker Vendors will have the items you mentioned including the floor pan metal. I would purchase a real manual and parts manual, not expensive and most of the vendors carry them plus you find them on E-bay and other auction sites.
    Pictures ? 6 or 8 cylinder?
    64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Kdancy View Post
      Welcome aboard !!
      I would advise you to first join the SDC (Studebaker Drivers Club) and receive their monthly publication. Almost everything you asked will be in there. The Studebaker Vendors will have the items you mentioned including the floor pan metal. I would purchase a real manual and parts manual, not expensive and most of the vendors carry them plus you find them on E-bay and other auction sites.
      Pictures ? 6 or 8 cylinder?
      Welcome! Kevin has covered most of it, but the shift pattern is still an "H" pattern: Reverse is towards you and up, 1st is towards you and down. 2nd is away and up, 3rd is away and down. Most of the 6 cylinder trucks do not have overdrive, but if if yours does, we can cover that. If there is a chrome lever below the dash, left of the steering wheel, you have overdrive. For now, leave the lever pushed in, we can discuss how to properly use it later, if you do indeed have it.
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

      Comment


      • #4
        As an option, Studebaker International 317-462--3124 has the parts and shop manual on a CD. Works real well. Have been unable to find an owner's manual so far for my '63 Champ. Maybe none was produced?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
          Welcome! Kevin has covered most of it, but the shift pattern is still an "H" pattern: Reverse is towards you and up, 1st is towards you and down. 2nd is away and up, 3rd is away and down. Most of the 6 cylinder trucks do not have overdrive, but if if yours does, we can cover that. If there is a chrome lever below the dash, left of the steering wheel, you have overdrive. For now, leave the lever pushed in, we can discuss how to properly use it later, if you do indeed have it.
          If the truck has overdrive....If you not familiar with overdrive it would be safer to leave the chrome handle pulled OUT. With the handle out the truck will drive like any other stick shift, but the rear gears may limit your top speed. There are some recent threads concerning overdrive that you could search and read.
          sigpic

          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

          Comment


          • #6
            Let me give you a hand, sometimes our veteran members forget, that to a new person navigating out vast Studebaker resources for the first time it can leave a new and or potential member a little dizzy in the head.

            Here's a link to all that is Studebaker, I'm sure there are more but this will surely get you started on your project

            http://www.studebakervendors.com/

            Pickup and learn the lingo, and short abbreviations that so many use here, if you happen to need an explaination, feel free to ask.
            Such as
            CE.....that's Classic Enterprises the largest reproducer of stamped floor panels and other products for our Studes
            SI....Studebaker International
            SW Studebakers West
            CASO, a term of endearment for those resourcefull and thrifty Stude owners (Cheap A$# Stude Owner)
            Glass is pretty easy to find, shipping becomes the $$ point, side windows can be handled by any glass shop in your area.

            I think you get the idea, Look the links over, embrace it, become involved, and it will reward handsomely....
            61 Lark

            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks for the information, advise, roadmap and terminology. Will check all the links this eve. It's using a 6 cyl (most likely stock 170) for motivation.

              No pics of substance yet - just the teaser in my album, but hope to have a good "bringing it home" set posted later in the weekend.

              I don't believe it's an overdrive trans, but will look for that element and leave it as recommended.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                If the truck has overdrive....If you not familiar with overdrive it would be safer to leave the chrome handle pulled OUT. With the handle out the truck will drive like any other stick shift, but the rear gears may limit your top speed. There are some recent threads concerning overdrive that you could search and read.
                Maybe so, pulling the handle out. But understand never, ever pull the lever out while in motion...with experience you will know when it is OK, but for now only pull the level out while stopped. Also, know that 1st is NOT syncronized, you MUST be at a complete stop to engage 1st without grinding gears (with the lever in, it may still grind a bit, but nowhere near as much).
                Ron Dame
                '63 Champ

                Comment


                • #9
                  ok, just ordered manual and window channels from SI. Nice.

                  with two broken door windows, I'll have to find a good one used I think to get a glass shop to cut me new ones, right?

                  still looking for that battery reference - I'll work with the Napa guys in my hood to see if they have an x-ref.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by hdh View Post
                    ok, just ordered manual and window channels from SI. Nice.

                    with two broken door windows, I'll have to find a good one used I think to get a glass shop to cut me new ones, right?

                    still looking for that battery reference - I'll work with the Napa guys in my hood to see if they have an x-ref.
                    The windows are flat glass, any automotive glass shop can cut them for you, if they are still intact enough to use as a pattern. I guess a good one could figure it out without a pattern.

                    I am just going with my puny mind, but AFAIR, the battery is a 24F. It may just be a 24, but with battery turned with the terminals closest to you, negative should be on the right and positive on the left.. It is mounted with the terminals closest to the engine.
                    Ron Dame
                    '63 Champ

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      excellent, thanks - I'll start there.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
                        For now, leave the lever pushed in,
                        If his has overdrive, I would advise he keep it out until he knows how it operates.
                        Joining the SDC is definitely the best way to find the resource for all the answers.
                        You can join right here.
                        http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/joinsdc.asp
                        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

                        Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
                          the battery is a 24F. It may just be a 24, but with battery turned with the terminals closest to you, negative should be on the right and positive on the left.. It is mounted with the terminals closest to the engine.

                          The 24F (Ford) has the Positive Post FORWARD, when the posts are closest to the Engine.

                          What you want is what USED to be THE most common U.S. car Battery, a Group 24, these have the NEGATIVE Post forward when the posts are near the Engine. and I say that because that is how it is correctly mounted.

                          DO NOT buy a Generic 24/24F Battery with the Posts centered.

                          And DO NOT buy a Battery that you can not get a Studebaker Hold-Down strap (bracket, bar whatever) to fit across the Center without the cell covers interfering!
                          Last edited by StudeRich; 11-04-2010, 10:17 PM.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            battery optima option

                            now a member of the SDC - thanks for encouraging me to join!

                            optima d34 looks potentially correct - I've had good luck with these on past projects, but might find a simple looking black diehard or interstate too
                            should would work with the stock hold down as it's a bit smaller than Group 24 dims - how much yet, I'm not sure. are the terminals in the correct location for this truck?

                            how involved is a wiper motor swap on these trucks? there's a new spare to replace the non-functional existing one and it sounds like it may rain here in the next few days. open windows I can live with, but not interested in driving without wipers!

                            THANKS
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by hdh; 11-05-2010, 01:11 AM. Reason: correcting confusing comment

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Welcome, David! I already like you based on your sig. line <G>

                              I see your truck has a Fremont license plate frame, and it's red. We await more pictures!

                              BTW- this post would have been more appropos on the 'General Discussion' page, accessible by clicking the header with the logo. There's a few different categories there. Check 'em out!
                              Last edited by Bob Andrews; 11-05-2010, 05:26 AM.
                              Proud NON-CASO

                              I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

                              If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truthlet me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

                              GOD BLESS AMERICA

                              Ephesians 6:10-17
                              Romans 15:13
                              Deuteronomy 31:6
                              Proverbs 28:1

                              Illegitimi non carborundum

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X