Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

6 Volt fuel sending unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 Volt fuel sending unit

Where's a guy to find a 6 volt fuel sending unit ? SI's was faulty and they asked me to return it. thanxs
    1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

I used one of SI's 6 volt sending units in my '54 sedan. It took a lot of adjusting of the float arm (using an ohm meter to check the output) to get it close to correct. SI's 6v repro senders are NOT 'plug and play' items - in other words, you can't just bolt them and expect them to be correct, at least in my experience. Mine works well now, although it only goes to 7/8 scale when the tank is full. However, I'm more worried about the EMPTY being correct....<G>
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

My sending unit would only budge the gauge to 1/8-1/4 tank when it was full. I called SI they said that they were all faulty. The float arm is maxed out against the stop. Did you bend your arm where it attaches by the hold down screw?
      1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

Comment

So which model do you need the sender for? I have some 6volt NOS senders still available such as the 519423 47-48 Champion and Commander units. Don't know if this will fit later models or not. Although some list only one 525548 number for 47-55 sedans.
        Originally posted by poweroptions View Post
        Where's a guy to find a 6 volt fuel sending unit ? SI's was faulty and they asked me to return it. thanxs
        Last edited by 41 Frank; 11-01-2010, 07:43 AM. Reason: accuracy
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I got one from Studebakers West. Works great. http://www.studebakerswest.net/categ...?categoryId=21
          Rick
          Kingman, AZ

Comment

I had to change the shape of the arm somewhat, but mainly made changes to the 'stops'.
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
              I got one from Studebakers West. Works great. http://www.studebakerswest.net/categ...?categoryId=21
              Stude West said his were faulty now also

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
                So which model do you need the sender for? I have some 6volt NOS senders still available such as the 519423 47-48 Champion and Commander units. Don't know if this will fit later models or not. Although some list only one 525548 number for 47-55 sedans.
                It's for my 52 Champion. I bought a #525548 from SI, which is published in their catalog as being for 47-55 6V cars. It has a one wire terminal on the sender. Seems to me yours would work don't you think??? Hey I had to say I was born and raised in Falls City. We farmed the bottom land of what is now Indian Cave State Park . Moved to TX in 79. Let me know what you think, I'm new to Studebakers and am not knowledgeble to them. Also your price? thanks

Comment

Well I must say you are probably better off in Texas! No, things here are good for the farmers here, good crops last few years but that also usually means lower crop prices. I am not and never have been a farmer. Tough life.Yes we are not far from Falls City as you know. Have been to Indian Cave State Park couple of times. Lot of bottom land got flooded this year. I will go down to the inventory in the morning and check if mine has one wire. I really can't think of what the difference could be in the two different part numbers if they supposedly interchange. I will send you a private message with your price. Click the notification box at the top of this page to read your message.

It's for my 52 Champion. I bought a #525548 from SI, which is published in their catalog as being for 47-55 6V cars. It has a one wire terminal on the sender. Seems to me yours would work don't you think??? Hey I had to say I was born and raised in Falls City. We farmed the bottom land of what is now Indian Cave State Park . Moved to TX in 79. Let me know what you think, I'm new to Studebakers and am not knowledgeble to them. Also your price? thanks
                  Last edited by 41 Frank; 11-01-2010, 04:19 PM.
                  Frank van Doorn
                  Omaha, Ne.
                  1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Thank you Frank, my grandfather went to St. Deroin school at the foot of St. Deroin hill in Indian Cave my great great great grandfather was William Bratton who traveled with Lewis and Clark. As a kid we farmed the 600 acres of bottom that lay in front of St. Deroin. We lost it to eminent domain in the early 70s for the park. I use to cultivate and rotary hoe in those endless summer days on the bottom with my dad. Many of my kinfolk are buried in those bluffs within the park. Well, it's some wonderful fond memories, time has marched on. I own a antique mall outside Tyler nowadays. I live in yesterday with my old cars, and antiques. I thank you for your help.

Comment

Lots of history there for sure. I'll send you a message tomorrow after I check on the sender I have.
                      Thank you Frank, my grandfather went to St. Deroin school at the foot of St. Deroin hill in Indian Cave my great great great grandfather was William Bratton who traveled with Lewis and Clark. As a kid we farmed the 600 acres of bottom that lay in front of St. Deroin. We lost it to eminent domain in the early 70s for the park. I use to cultivate and rotary hoe in those endless summer days on the bottom with my dad. Many of my kinfolk are buried in those bluffs within the park. Well, it's some wonderful fond memories, time has marched on. I own a antique mall outside Tyler nowadays. I live in yesterday with my old cars, and antiques. I thank you for your help.
                      Frank van Doorn
                      Omaha, Ne.
                      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

while the thread is open, i'll say i need one for my 51 champion. not anytime quickly, but probably closer to spring. will be getting a custom tank built.

or would someone recommend getting a 12v sender and putting a resistor in the line? i havent decided whether or not i plan to change to 12v in the future.

Comment

A stock sending unit will be useless with a custom built Tank, as the volume and depth would have to be identical to the original to work.
                          It will require a custom made sender using a UNIVERSAL UNIT with the float arm bent to read correctly.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

thanks, rich!

Comment

I had a similar situation not all that long ago(okay about a month, lol) with looking for a workable fuel sender and matching gauge for the '55. The fuel cell had a sender, but it was different style of sender, where rather than the arm and the potentiometer, it had a float with a set of reed switches. I could have went back to Summit to pick up the gauge, but at a show at the end of September, I had found a gauge and sender that worked perfectly for the fuel cell. The sender had an adjustable arm, bracket, and float, that according to the instructions and the lookup table it provided, could be adjusted to almost any tank. All I had to do was adjust the bracket up or down according to the depth of the tank, and then adjust the arm with float in or out to match the length of the tank, and it would provide a reasonable read of how much fuel was left in the tank on the fuel gauge. It also had a cork gasket and dropped in place of the other sender. The sender worked in a similar fashion to the senders in our Studebakers where it worked on a pivot. The sender also had a matching gauge that could be installed internal to the dash, or external on a bracket. The only bad thing is it's not entirely accurate, as it will read empty, well before I completely run on empty. Unfortunately I cannot provide the name of the mfr, as it didn't have one with the box, but they should be an easy find. The important thing is to get a matching sender and gauge with the kit.
                              1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                              1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                              1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Working...
                              X