Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Hill Holder.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hill Holder.........

How many on this forum have Studes with a hill holder...........and if so it it operable?

My '55 Champion has one and it works great.

Comment

Hill Holder Adjustment

Originally posted by 55champion View Post
      My '55 Champion has one and it works great.
      55 Champion,
      Please contact me at 56cvytrk@bellsouth.net concerning hill holder adjustment methods. Thanks

Comment

My '54 sedan does, the only one of my Studes to have one, and it is great.

Adjustment is detailed in the shop manual by the way.
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Quite a few around the shop have it, and if it's drivable. it works. The 56 Commander I drove to Pa. worked great and came in handy a couple of times. The '41 Commander that I drove to Az. also worked. Nice not to not roll backwards at some of those hilly red lights.

Comment

Greetings From Northern Minnesota. I have a 1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser with Hill Holder. The Hill Holder works great, although I have no use for it in a state where the highest elevation is just over 2000 feet above sea level. grantwriter1@msn.com

Comment

The shop manual is a joke as far as a clear understandable how to..........and how does one clean out the inside........mine no longer works?

Comment

Well how bad is 'slipping' the clutch if the no-rol is n/g?

Comment

Slipping the clutch is usually not a good idea, but as long as you don't smell it burning it might be ok. Rebuild kits for them are relativly inexpensive, but are just the seals. Our hill holder has only worked once or twice. I think it's just dirty inside, but I haven't taken the time to pull the thing off and clean it out. We got the rebuild kit, but have since misplaced it! If you're qualified to do your own brake job, you can probably rebuild the hill holder.

Comment

I have a '55 President with a newly installed hill holder. The original did not seem to work and I picked up a NOS in South Bend or York. It works fine. SI have hill holder kits. I did not bother buying the kit as I found the unit complete.
                    sigpic
                    55 President Deluxe
                    64 Commander
                    66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

My 56 Hawk has one, and it works just fine. Is there a way to disable it in reverse though? Living in NW Indiana (similar to what the person from MN said), I have very little use for it. The only time mine gets used is when I'm backing out of my driveway.

Comment

Originally posted by Werdegast View Post
                        How many on this forum have Studes with a hill holder...........and if so it it operable?
                        I ordered my '64 Daytona Wagonaire with a Hill Holder. It still works. However, the car has disk brakes and the Hill Holder only works on the rear wheels so it isn't as good as the earlier ones that hold all four.
                        I have owned several other Studebakers with Hill Holders and they all worked fine.
                        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Avantis with no-rol have all four wheels locked.....so something must be broken on your wagon.
                          Originally posted by 53k View Post
                          I ordered my '64 Daytona Wagonaire with a Hill Holder. It still works. However, the car has disk brakes and the Hill Holder only works on the rear wheels so it isn't as good as the earlier ones that hold all four.
                          I have owned several other Studebakers with Hill Holders and they all worked fine.

Comment

Our '53 has one but have not tried it as the car has been in the restoration process for over seven years. We hope to have it finally finished soon after the new year, knock on wood. Then I will look for a hill (not many close) and try it out.
                            Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom and '63 Avanti in Yuma, AZ
                            https://www.jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection https://www.jimsrodshop.com/project/always-ahead

Comment

Rebuilt and installed one on my 64 Hawk, because the driveway is on a 12 degree hill. Works great! Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X