No announcement yet.

How close is close?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a side note...when i put my timing light on the mark on the vibration damper is rock steady at 4 degrees. Should I purchase one of those new fangled lights that has that dial feature on the back?
    Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
    That is one of the possible symptoms of a worn distributor shaft.
    As the shaft oscillates, it can cause the gap to increase and decrease, and that will cause a small timing change, and correspondingly, a small idle rpm change.
    Nitpicky for sure, but a possible cause.

Comment

The meter shows a rock steady dwell of 32.9 degrees.
      Originally posted by Dan Timberlake View Post
      Some dwell meters will respond to the real unsteady dwell from a badly worn distributor. There is a lot of middle ground between brand new and completely worn out, and all distributors are in there somewhere. I remember the first time I used a timing light on an electronically triggered ignition car and being A-MAZED at how steady the timing mark was

Comment

If this is an R-motor or other 63-64 V-8 with Prestolite distributor, they're known for wearing very quickly, esp. in the centrifugal advance mechanism. If the dist. is rebuilt with oilite bushings on the advance weights and otherwise brought up to spec it can be actually better than new. from talking to Dave Thibeault I got the impression that he considers the Prestolite to be the preferable distributor of the stock choices *but* only if rebuilt, not in stock form.

nate
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I guess the rubbing blocks have not worn........because from the day I put the points in yrs ago the combined running dwell was 32.9 degrees.
          Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
          That is one of the possible symptoms of a worn distributor shaft.
          As the shaft oscillates, it can cause the gap to increase and decrease, and that will cause a small timing change, and correspondingly, a small idle rpm change.
          Nitpicky for sure, but a possible cause.

Comment

Originally posted by Werdegast View Post
            I guess the rubbing blocks have not worn........because from the day I put the points in yrs ago the combined running dwell was 32.9 degrees.
            I don't think we are talking about rubbing block wear here!

If my Dwell Meter always registered 32.9 degrees for years, I think I would get it re-calabrated or replaced, Lol!
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Indeed we are! I should have mentioned that even with other old meters the comined dwell was always 32.9. Why replace the points if the point material is not pitted or burned? And if the dwell is slow to change, and the car has plenty of balls on the road......well why replace??
              Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              I don't think we are talking about rubbing block wear here!

If my Dwell Meter always registered 32.9 degrees for years, I think I would get it re-calabrated or replaced, Lol!

Comment

I agree with N8N, I like the Prestolite dual point distributors if and this is a big if they are rebuilt correctly. It's almost impossible to adjust the shaft end play on the Delco distributors correctly. I've seen shafts with .125 end play in them which will cause the timing to change as the shaft moves up and down because of the spiral cut drive gear. The Prestolite's can be adjusted down to around .003 end play which at high rpm will keep the timing from wandering all over the place. Both of my Studebakers and my girlfriend's Lark are running with Prestolite distributors in them. A dual point distributor should have between 36 and 40 degrees dwell and the single point distributors should have 27 to 31 degrees dwell. Bud

Comment

Bud.......Studebaker spec'ed the dwell at 32-36 degrees for the R-1 engines..............for 1964.
                  Originally posted by Bud View Post
                  I agree with N8N, I like the Prestolite dual point distributors if and this is a big if they are rebuilt correctly. It's almost impossible to adjust the shaft end play on the Delco distributors correctly. I've seen shafts with .125 end play in them which will cause the timing to change as the shaft moves up and down because of the spiral cut drive gear. The Prestolite's can be adjusted down to around .003 end play which at high rpm will keep the timing from wandering all over the place. Both of my Studebakers and my girlfriend's Lark are running with Prestolite distributors in them. A dual point distributor should have between 36 and 40 degrees dwell and the single point distributors should have 27 to 31 degrees dwell. Bud

Comment

Mr. Thibeault re-built my car's Prestolite with oilite bronz bushed weights...that was almost 20 yrs ago.
                    Originally posted by N8N View Post
                    If this is an R-motor or other 63-64 V-8 with Prestolite distributor, they're known for wearing very quickly, esp. in the centrifugal advance mechanism. If the dist. is rebuilt with oilite bushings on the advance weights and otherwise brought up to spec it can be actually better than new. from talking to Dave Thibeault I got the impression that he considers the Prestolite to be the preferable distributor of the stock choices *but* only if rebuilt, not in stock form.

nate

Comment

Originally posted by Werdegast View Post
                      Mr. Thibeault re-built my car's Prestolite with oilite bronz bushed weights...that was almost 20 yrs ago.
                      Are you a Bela Lugosi fan?
                      Chip
                      '63 Cruiser
                      '57 Packard wagon
                      '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                      '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Working...
                      X