No announcement yet.

Tremec T45RS 5 speed swap questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suspect that that offset lever was custom fabricated along with a shortened shaft. The lever on my Hawk is straight.

Comment

Originally posted by StudegaryB View Post
      I suspect that that offset lever was custom fabricated along with a shortened shaft. The lever on my Hawk is straight.
      You may be correct though the article this picture came from does not mention any change to the clutch operating shaft so I assumed it was stock. Nonetheless, i could certainly modify a shaft similarly. I checked the SI catalog and did not find any later Hawk shafts available.
      sigpic
      Bob Shaw
      Rush City, Minnesota
      1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
      "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

I'm thinking this is the route I would take, only thing that I would change from this set up is to triangulate the pin that the shaft fits onto by connecting it to a second spot such as another bellhousing bolt...this would stop the pin from wanting to swivel or walk around on that single bolt, but perhaps I'm just over-thinking the solution here. Shortening the shaft and fabbing another lever should not present too much of a problem, just keep the same centerline distances as the stock stude lever and all should be good. Seems the least amount of trouble to go this route, and you know the stock geometry will be intact and the clutch operation should be just like stock. Hope this works. Junior
        sigpic
        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
          I'm thinking this is the route I would take, only thing that I would change from this set up is to triangulate the pin that the shaft fits onto by connecting it to a second spot such as another bellhousing bolt...this would stop the pin from wanting to swivel or walk around on that single bolt, but perhaps I'm just over-thinking the solution here. Shortening the shaft and fabbing another lever should not present too much of a problem, just keep the same centerline distances as the stock stude lever and all should be good. Seems the least amount of trouble to go this route, and you know the stock geometry will be intact and the clutch operation should be just like stock. Hope this works. Junior
          Yes, that sure looks like my best option. i agree that a better multi-point bracket would be better. Once i get the shaft shortened and with an offset lever, I think there will be enough clearance to use the original end support pin/bracket but with the bracket part modified to either span the two bottom trans bolts or one bottom bolt and one on the trans side (there is an ear there that can be used).

Thanks all for the suggestions. I will post some photos when I get the linkage fabbed up.

Oh, if anyone does have a hawk clutch operating shaft to sell me please PM me. I'd like to have an extra before I start cutting and to use for comparison to ensure I don't screw up the correct geometry.
          sigpic
          Bob Shaw
          Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

Bob, that offset lever looked a bit similar to an unidentified part in a box of clutch parts, but when I checked, the offset is reversed. That part is an "outer release shaft lever" #0203-28 in the 59-64 parts book. Possibly the one pictured was for a right hand drive car. It appears to have been slipped over the shaft and welded in position. It may be my imagination but there seems to be a hole at the top outer edge, that would be for a fastening pin. For reference, the center to centre measurement or lever radius is 2.75". The offset is about 7/8" laterally. It looks like the one in the picture has been tightened up (sharper bends).
            I recently sold a complete clutch lever setup for a GT Hawk, but I think all the parts were there. Maybe this was a spare, or for something else. The box also contains a lever/tube with grease fitting setup that is a mystery to me - possibly for a light truck. It's similar to what was on my mid 70's Jeep Cherokee.

Comment

Thanks to one of the forum folks it looks like I will soon have the parts I'll need. Again, I will try to remember to take pics.
              sigpic
              Bob Shaw
              Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

Thanks and appreciation to DustyBob Wagner I have a GT Hawk clutch operating shaft and can now proceed. Made some progress today and the pics that follow show how the clutch connection is going.

Below is a pic showing the new GT Hawk clutch operating shaft along with my original 60 Hawk's shaft. The new shaft is shorter yet the offset inside lever places it in the same plane as the original.

Below is my original shaft end bracket. Per DustyBob's own conversion, I will remove the end from the rest of the bracket.

Below is the end piece after the rivets were ground off to allow a new bracket to be fabricated and attached to it.

Below shows the two transmission mounting points I will use for a new shaft-end mounting bracket. I am holding the shaft end piece roughly in place for reference.

Below shows the cardboard mounting bracket I first made for test-fit and measurements along with the steel bracket made as a result. This is just tack welded by me and will be finish welded by a friend who actually knows how to weld stuff that needs to stay welded. Once welded (and prettied up a bit) I will mark and drill all the bolt holes and assemble it.

Below is the new mount being held up for a test fit. I see no reason why this won't work out fine.

Also, I will be using the rear mount on the transmission. When I notched and strengthened the batwing crossmember the bracing I added had a vertical lip that I aligned with the rear tranny mount as seen in the photo below.

Below is the rear mount bracket I fabbed. Like the clutch shaft bracket, it is just tacked and will be properly welded by my friend.

Below is the new rear trans mount and bracket held in place.

Next step: I have a ton of things to get done but I think I can go ahead and measure for the drive shaft and get that shortened and balanced.
                sigpic
                Bob Shaw
                Rush City, Minnesota

Comment

Yeah Bob. Atta Boy!
                  Henry Votel,
                  Forest Lake, MN
                  Buying & Selling Studebaker Parts in MN & WI

Comment

Working...