No announcement yet.

Tremec T45RS 5 speed swap questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I once tried to put one on my early 53K, the frame is bent differently than the 54's. There is no frame where the bat wing goes. Now, Stude might have used the later frame in late 53. I do not know. If you have a bat wing to test fit and let us know or put up some pics. I would be happier than a pig in s---.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
      I was scanning through this thread real quick and when I saw this pic of Toms I thought "Man, that is one heavy duty ratchet shifter on there!
      Thats your eyes playing tricks on you, the jack stand is blending in with that T-45's
      Pro5.0 shifter. For the record, thats not my TKO, its just a pic of a T-45 I found on
      the internet. It shows the intregal bellhousing. TKO has no bellhousing.

Tom
      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Believe a recent issue of T.W. has a description and pic's of an x-memeber mod. Don't recall if it was for a C-K or Avanti-Lark frame.
        Paul K

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
          I once tried to put one on my early 53K, the frame is bent differently than the 54's. There is no frame where the bat wing goes. Now, Stude might have used the later frame in late 53. I do not know. If you have a bat wing to test fit and let us know or put up some pics. I would be happier than a pig in s---.
          Alan, I had a real good look at my frame/batwing crossmember today, and I still maintain that a 54 batwing should be able to be retrofitted to a 53 frame, at least on a coupe, perhaps the K frame is different. The section of frame that the batwing mounts to is completely flat, and the crossmember has 4 bolts per side that run through the 'flanges' on the sides of the frame, and 2 bolts per side that run into the body supports. I took some pictures, but they really don't show the detail. I've been told that K studes had 'hog troughs' and coupes don't, so perhaps that is where the difference is? I can see why studebaker added the batwing as it really adds a lot of support to the body under the stressed door post hinge area. The metal thickness of the crossmember is at least twice as thick as the actual frame material. Hopefully, someone who is totally familiar with both 53 and 54 frames can shed some more light on the subject. I think if I had a 53 I would really try to add a batwing as I can't imagine how Studebaker built the 53's without one. Actually, I still can't believe they built the frames they did...all the crossmembers (with the exception of the front suspension/engine mount one) look so weak, and looks like they should have added at least one more crossmember, perhaps 2 more somewhere between the centerbearing support and the rear bumper. The stock frames just flat out LOOK weak, but then again I spent my impressionble youth staring at Kenworth frames so my frame of reference (pun intended) may be out of whack. Junior
          sigpic
          1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

If anyone has a picture of this batwing, I'd sure like to see it, especially in place on the car.

Comment

Originally posted by johnod View Post
              If anyone has a picture of this batwing, I'd sure like to see it, especially in place on the car.
              trying to upload....
              Attached Files
              sigpic
              1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                trying to upload....
                Thanks, I defenitly don't have that, but it sure looks liks a good idea. Is that right under the drive shaft support??

Comment

Junior, That is completely different than the 53 K's. Wish I had one of my K's rolling so I could take some pics. But am working on my 63 T-Cab and have so little room I have to move 4 cars to get to one.

Comment

Look at Juniors' 1st pic. You will see the rocker panel front edge in the top of the shot.
                    The "batwing" is right under the front edge of the door/rocker panel.
                    It helps rigidity in the cowl area and firewall.... if you drive over washboard roads or rail-road tracks, you will notice the difference.
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948
                    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Thanks bezhawk.

If you were going to pull the engine and trans would you remove this bat wing, or does it stay in place?

Comment

I have never had to remove one to pull an engine/transmission, or transmission by itself. The only time that I have removed one, is to take it to rust heaven.

Comment

I usually remove the whole front clip when I pull an engine/trans.
                          Two bolts in front and three in the back and 2 or three holding the inner to the cowl and the whole front end with the radiator and all lifts right off.(leave the front end bolted to the core support and just remove the core support to frame bolts)

Then you can lift the engine and trans as a unit, and you dont have to lift it as far for clearence.
                          Bez Auto Alchemy
                          573-318-8948
                          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Thanks bezhawk.

If you were going to pull the engine and trans would you remove this bat wing, or does it stay in place?
                            Well Johnod, I'm going to find out soon I'm planning to take my 'bat wing' off next weekend (that was the original reason for the post, I was hoping Mr. Shaw had already done it, but he has not responded lately)...although the forecast for Calgary on Sat. is a high of -10, low of -14 and my garage is not heated. A few other thoughts, 1. you have a sweet coupe, 2. since your ride is a coupe...I figure you should be able to add a 54 batwing, 3. I think I read in another post you have a SBC/T5 combo...if you do I will be picking your brain later for clutch master clyinder ideas. 4.) Hard to imagine someone living in (on?) the BVI for 22 years returning to Canada....brrrr. Cheers. Junior.
                            Last edited by junior; 11-14-2010, 03:33 PM.
                            sigpic
                            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Thanks for the compliment.
                              I'll have to keep an eye open for a batwing, tho I've been trying to get some cutom frame work done, which would do the job as well I think.
                              It's not as cold here as that, but you can tell whats coming, and i'm trying to get my garage heated within the next month max.
                              As far as clutch info, if i can help I will, tho that the previous owner did, but i have notes and contact with the PO so should be able to figure it out.

BVI... I'm wondering about that too this time of year.

Whats the rest of your car look like?

Comment

Thanks bezhawk.

The batwing pictured looks to be the same as is in my Hawk I've been talking about. It would not be removed to take out the motor and/or transmission.

Junior: I am still quite a ways aways from any batwing mods. Having pulled the motor and tranny I am now working on getting the engine compartment and underneath all cleaned of its caked on grease then painted. I'll probably install my new wiring kit before getting back to the drivetrain. I'll be a while doing that. When I do get to the tranny install I plan on taking pics and do a write-up.
                                sigpic
                                Bob Shaw
                                Rush City, Minnesota
                                1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
                                "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

Working...
                                X