Don Simmons ss Exhaust........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don Simmons ss Exhaust........

Something interesting here.........after installing the entire exhaust plus mufflers........the car exhaust spits out copious amount of water upon startup.......I never had this when the car 'sported' alum doped pipe.

The old mufflers may have had drain holes and the new ones may not. I know my cars with Simmons exhaust do the same thing. Just a byproduct of the combustion process, in other words, normal.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Originally posted by Werdegast View Post
      Something interesting here.........after installing the entire exhaust plus mufflers........the car exhaust spits out copious amount of water upon startup.......I never had this when the car 'sported' alum doped pipe.
      Nice exhaust system. Fits like a glove doesn't it. When she heats up you will not have the water condensation problem
      1964 GT Hawk
      PSMCDR 2014
      Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
      PSMCDR 2013
      Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

The mufflers may not be draining and/or the stainless steel may be causing more condensation or your old exhaust system may have had leaks that allowed the water to escape.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Your car is drooling over the pretty pipes you installed.

Comment

As cold weather approaches more condensation will pour out of the exhaust. This is normal as all of my cars including my new Silverado do it as the engine warms up. As long as the drooling stops when the engine is warm, there is no problem. Bud

Comment

I think, if facts were known, the drooling stops when the pipes become hot enough that the water vapor generated during the burning of the fuel doesn't condense on them (the pipes) but blows out as steam.

Comment

many thanks!

Comment

As a related note, this is why I never start an engine on anything and then shut it back off before letting it warm completely up. Had a 4 wheeler that was just started and driven about 100 yds then shut off twice a day, by my grandfather. The muffler and exhaust rotted out on an annual basis because it always had water laying in it since it never got warm enough to evaporate it out.
                  Jim
                  Often in error, never in doubt
                  http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X