Avanti Rim sizes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Rim sizes?

Considering changing my original 63' Avanti rims to larger size expecting I would get better handling and traction. Any suggestions on size to go to and where to go to would be greatly appreciated. Anyone else made this transition and will it be worth the investment? I drive my car as often as possible. Already replaced entire suspension and car has been running great with only 72,0000 miles on it.

Crown Vic or Ranger 15"x6", Chysler 15"X6". Fords are easier to find in salvage yards only caveat is you must use the larger 13/16 ( socket size ) lug nuts and not the original stude nuts.

Definitely worth doing, better ride, handling and the hubcabs don't spin.

ErnieR

Comment

More than 6" wide can cause clearance problems, depending on the offset of the wheels and/or sagging front coil springs.

If you have the Turner Brake conversion kit on the car, some wheels may have problems clearing the calipers, though some judicious grinding can solve that. On my Avanti with the Turner kit, two of the Magnum 500 wheels clear the calipers and two don't...there's a difference in offset of about 3/8" between the front and rear rims. It never showed or made a difference with the original Dunlop/Bendix brakes, but did as soon as the Turner kit was installed. I just keep the appropriate rims on the front for no problems.

Just something to watch out for if you change rims.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Earnie,
        I beg to differ.my hub caps spin all the time on my MoPar Cordoba rims:-(
        Originally posted by bige View Post
        Crown Vic or Ranger 15"x6", Chysler 15"X6". Fords are easier to find in salvage yards only caveat is you must use the larger 13/16 ( socket size ) lug nuts and not the original stude nuts.

Definitely worth doing, better ride, handling and the hubcabs don't spin.

ErnieR

Comment

Plus there are many, many previous threads on wheel recommendations and interchangeability. The search function is a wonderful tool.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

To provide an asterisk to Gunslinger's warning on the Turner kit clearance issues...my Turner 4 wheel discs fit inside the Ford rims just fine.

ErnieR

Comment

I have had a couple rims with wheel covers that spun & damaged valve stems. On those I installed the metal valve stems instead of the usual rubber ones & the problem was solved. The pull your part yard around here has a sale on steel wheels on mondays, so when possible I grab any of the RWD Chrysler wheels then which fit my Larks, Hawk & Avanti's fine.
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I just installed a set of the Halibrand 5 spoke mags on my 63 Avanti, 15 x 6, 4" backspacing, They look pretty good!

Jim
                "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                their Memorials!

Comment

Working...
                X