No announcement yet.

Is there such a thing as too much lube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some would say I toss money out the window......when I changed the oil yesterday I had driven less than 500 miles maybe even 300....but because the car sits in the garage for so many months I assume that dampness gets into the oil and figured that to be a no-no. So yes my mind is back in the 60's when most all said change the oil very often if not utilized. I laugh now.I remember my dad changing his oil filter every other oil change..he would remove the filter dump out the oil and put back on the car. He never had any engine problems in many years of doing this.
    Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
    Yes, the Fram is a minimum quality filter. Yes, the Wix or NAPA Gold are worth the extra cost.

No, the Fram filter in and of itself will not harm any engine. Think about it. A filter is there to collect contaminants as they pass through entrained in the oil. If the oil has been changed every one thousand miles, there should be essentially no contaminant in there for the filter to collect.

Maybe, we should put it in perspective. If one is operating a fleet of heavy trucks in the most extreme conditions, constantly pulling max loading, then oil filter quality is critical. In a lightly, gently, seldom operated Stude with the oil changed every thousand miles, an oil filter probably isn't even required at all.

jack vines
    Last edited by Werdegast; 10-23-2010, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
      No, the Fram filter in and of itself will not harm any engine. Think about it. A filter is there to collect contaminants as they pass through entrained in the oil. If the oil has been changed every one thousand miles, there should be essentially no contaminant in there for the filter to collect.

Maybe, we should put it in perspective. If one is operating a fleet of heavy trucks in the most extreme conditions, constantly pulling max loading, then oil filter quality is critical. In a lightly, gently, seldom operated Stude with the oil changed every thousand miles, an oil filter probably isn't even required at all.
      Exactly; well said. Honestly, I don't know how the oil filter overkill fetish got started. As stated by Mr. Vines, a filter means very little in classic car use. For decades cars intended for daily service had NO oil filters at all.

Don't fear the Fram; and don't waste it. The tiny contribution the filter makes to the average babied collector car can be made by a cheapo or a big-buck filter equally as well. If one feels good about unnecessary overspending, that's certainly a reason to justify it. For the CASO though, it serves no purpose
      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
      Romans 15:13
      Deuteronomy 31:6
      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Yes, the Fram is a minimum quality filter. Yes, the Wix or NAPA Gold are worth the extra cost.

jack vines
        That reminds me of the history of my pickup. Originally the truck was sent to S.D and spent part of its life up there before coming back here as a regularly used pickup. The six cylinder that was in it, had no filter at all, that is until I added the cartridge filter setup. It was optional to install a filter on the flathead six, and it survived fairly well provided you went back every so often and changed the oil in it.

Regarding the grease, yeah too much can result in getting the pockets on the frame under the motor mounts full of the caked stuff. When I had the engine out of the '55 I had to remove a coating an inch thick from 50 years of greasing the front end. The positive of having the grease though was it kept the front end from rusting out, even though it looks unsightly.
        1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
        1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
        1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
        1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

The main issue I've had with Fram filters is an occasional leak. I do know that their quality isn't as good as the premium filters, but I don't know if that makes much of a difference in the old Studebaker engines. I use the Baldwin filters because I buy them for the Studebakers when I buy filters for other pieces of equipment. Bud

Comment

I don't know how to post a link to a site so I'll have to do it this way.

Engine Oil Filter Study By Russ W. Knize

This guy has been cutting up dissecting and testing filters for years. He is the go-to guy for questions on oil filters.
            Fram filters SUCK.

Just Google "engine oil filter comparison" a lot of good info available.
            From what I understand the Walmart brand is actually a good filter.
            [and no I'm not connected to his site in any way, just found out about it and passing the info on]
            South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

I don't like the orange can either, but if I have to use one in a pinch, there are plenty of them out there providing "adequate" lubrication.

If you have a full flow filter, I would be tempted to use a Canton/Mecca filter for better filtration. Combined with a bypass filter if you really want to go hard core. Don't know where you can get the good depth type elements for an old Fram C4 canister anymore though. I too like Wix for conventional OTC spin-ons. I know Jeff pushes Luber-Finer but I haven't seen them in any of my FLAPS to try (but I believe that they are a Champion Labs product who also make many other brands.)

Long story short, I won't deliberately buy a Fram filter, but if I'm in a bind, a new Fram is probably better than an old whatever you have on the car already, especially on an older car that likely tends to dirty up the filter quickly.

nate
              --
              55 Commander Starlight
              http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

man, are you guys into overkill! it ain't an 80,000 pound semi with a 400 horse diesel! that fram will do the job just fine. back in the old days it was common to remove the oil filter assembly from partial flow studes because they drained back into the fill tube and if your engine had blow-by it would splatter oil all over hell. gramps drove one for years set up like that, no filter at all.
                61 lark cruiser
                64 daytona 2dr hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                  Exactly; well said. Honestly, I don't know how the oil filter overkill fetish got started. As stated by Mr. Vines, a filter means very little in classic car use. For decades cars intended for daily service had NO oil filters at all.
                  Don't fear the Fram; and don't waste it. The tiny contribution the filter makes to the average babied collector car can be made by a cheapo or a big-buck filter equally as well. If one feels good about unnecessary overspending, that's certainly a reason to justify it. For the CASO though, it serves no purpose
                  My '61 Cruiser (bought new) had no filter at all and I didn't add one. Routine was to change oil (and grease chassis) every 1,000 miles.
                  Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

With a title like this all I can do is snicker to myself. I really am 12 years old most of the time.
                    I have a 1950 4 door Commander a 51 land cruiser And a 52 Champion
                    sigpic
                    I'll Tattoo you anytime!
                    And you can find me at....

New Shop Name Same tattoo shop
                    Crazy Lady Ink
                    Shakopee Mn.
                    952-445-3281
                    27 years in the tattooing biz

Comment

Originally posted by Edsel G. Tattooer View Post
                      With a title like this all I can do is snicker to myself. I really am 12 years old most of the time.
                      Welcome to my world, Edsy
                      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                      Romans 15:13
                      Deuteronomy 31:6
                      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
                      X