Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there such a thing as too much lube?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is there such a thing as too much lube?

    had car on the lift today.........my friend that owns the shop said I grease the car too much...as I wanted another lube job as the car was there for oil and filter. He did lube her........but I have to say the car does have a sheet pot full of grease from over the many yrs!

    Also are Fram oil filters good?...............I have always utilized hastings LF-212 filters but the WD was out of stock and said Fram is a good replacement.

  • #2
    I manage a fleet of twenty-nine trucks. They get lubed every time the oil is changed. My Studes get lubed every time they are on the hoist, even if I'm not changing the oil.

    Frequent lubrication is not overkill; it never ever hurts. I know folks who think, if an ounce of grease is good, a pound is better. That's where your money ends up on the floor. Cleaning off the old grease and dirt makes working on the car a much more pleasant experience.

    A friend of mine owns an oil change service. He told me he always used Fram until he actually bought a variety of brands and cut them in half to compare. He said he will never again put a Fram oil filter on a customer's vehicle. I know, that's hearsay. I use Hastings or WIX.
    Last edited by rockne10; 10-22-2010, 06:45 PM.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

    Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

    Comment


    • #3
      Well...that depends on what you mean by "Too much lube!"

      If you follow me too close, there will be "too much lube" splattering all over your car as my car kinda does its "self oil change" routine.


      Any person who is in the oil change business probably wants to discourage you from requesting a lube job because your old Studebaker has a gazillion fittings and he is not used to having to hunt down so many fittings.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

      SDC member since 1975

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Werdegast View Post
        Also are Fram oil filters good?...............I have always utilized hastings LF-212 filters but the WD was out of stock and said Fram is a good replacement.
        If Fram filters are good, then why can you buy a Fram Filter for under $5.00 vs a Wix Filter for $10.00 .

        I use Wix filters
        1964 GT Hawk
        PSMCDR 2014
        Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
        PSMCDR 2013
        Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

        Victoria, Canada

        Comment


        • #5
          Fram filters are aimed at the mass marketers as they can be sold at a much lower price that a Wix, NAPA or Baldwin filter can be sold. I use Baldwin filters as they are what we use in our over the road trucks. The price of a Baldwin filter for the Studebakers is about 7 bucks wholesale and I can buy a Fram for about 3.50. I've cut open both filters and the difference in quality is amazing. Bud

          Comment


          • #6
            I feel like sheet now........when they delivered the parts i was told they did not have hastings LF212......and sent Fram....I guess i could have sent it back but time was the factor and I was hogging the lift.......I hope the Fram will not kill the engine.....I usually change the filter and oil before one thousand miles.
            Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me View Post
            If Fram filters are good, then why can you buy a Fram Filter for under $5.00 vs a Wix Filter for $10.00 .

            I use Wix filters

            Comment


            • #7
              Dan Dobbins?
              Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
              I manage a fleet of twenty-nine trucks. They get lubed every time the oil is changed. My Studes get lubed every time they are on the hoist, even if I'm not changing the oil.

              Frequent lubrication is not overkill; it never ever hurts. I know folks who think, if an ounce of grease is good, a pound is better. That's where your money ends up on the floor. Cleaning off the old grease and dirt makes working on the car a much more pleasant experience.

              A friend of mine owns an oil change service. He told me he always used Fram until he actually bought a variety of brands and cut them in half to compare. He said he will never again put a Fram oil filter on a customer's vehicle. I know, that's hearsay. I use Hastings or WIX.

              Comment


              • #8
                "Dan Dobbins?"

                I didn't even mention the state, let alone the island, and you knew!

                By the way, may I call you Vlad?
                Last edited by rockne10; 10-22-2010, 07:04 PM.
                "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

                Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10,
                '51 Commander Starlight,
                '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                '56 Sky Hawk

                Comment


                • #9
                  Indeed you may.I am no genius..I read on the forum that Mr. Dobbins was in the oil change business. I am planning on havingf a private car show and inviting some friends.....it will be held at Karfax Abby.Will you attend?
                  Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                  "Dan Dobbins?"

                  I didn't even mention the state, let alone the island, and you knew!

                  By the way, may I call you Vlad?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Oh that I could but, I fear the voyage may spell the end for my dear Lucy. She is most often now pale and restless.
                    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

                    Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10,
                    '51 Commander Starlight,
                    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                    '56 Sky Hawk

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Mina will minister to her.I will see to it....or in the alternative my agent Mr. Renfield shall tend to any and all occurrences.
                      Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                      Oh that I could but, I fear the voyage may spell the end for my dear Lucy. She is most often now pale and restless.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Is my engine actually in peril utilizing that Fram filter I put in?

                        Would those on the forum recommend it's removal and then putting on one of the other major offerings?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The Fram should serve you well over the thousand miles between changes.
                          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

                          Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10,
                          '51 Commander Starlight,
                          '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                          '56 Sky Hawk

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            If I were young again I would look for a place to bring a steam jenny and clean the front end and chassis but my back is far from willing to attempt that operation.

                            As long as I can actually see new grease oozing from the fittings that is all that I am concerned with......the new pushing out the old......the problem with the station owner was that he assumed the car did not need any additional lube because of what he saw on the king pins etc...........he never considered that the lube in the joints bearings etc could be hard and dry......so yes back in the day my front end was clean clean clean.........but that job will be left to the next owner.......if collector cars are even around with all this federal regulation and forced charges in automotive fuel.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Is my engine actually in peril utilizing that Fram filter I put in? I hope the Fram will not kill the engine.....I usually change the filter and oil before one thousand miles. Would those on the forum recommend it's removal and then putting on one of the other major offerings?
                              Yes, the Fram is a minimum quality filter. Yes, the Wix or NAPA Gold are worth the extra cost.

                              No, the Fram filter in and of itself will not harm any engine. Think about it. A filter is there to collect contaminants as they pass through entrained in the oil. If the oil has been changed every one thousand miles, there should be essentially no contaminant in there for the filter to collect.

                              Maybe, we should put it in perspective. If one is operating a fleet of heavy trucks in the most extreme conditions, constantly pulling max loading, then oil filter quality is critical. In a lightly, gently, seldom operated Stude with the oil changed every thousand miles, an oil filter probably isn't even required at all.

                              jack vines
                              PackardV8

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X