Delrin bushings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delrin bushings.

Hi. I have a question on some Delrin bushings that I just got in the mail today. I paid $125.00 + shiping
    Has any one here used them or know about them.
    I am looking for some input please.
    Thay will be going on my 62 Daytona Lark.
    I will be puting them in the upper & lower A arms. left & right side.
    I hope some one here has used them before. Thanks much. Gene.

I would not use them on a daily driver. Too harsh. They work good on a drag car, or if you
    are only driving to the local car show or on weekends. Just my opinion. I am sure others
    will have a different one.

Comment

I like them, I've heard the argument about them being harsh, I've driven studes with both and really couldn't tell the difference, however I don't drive a stude with them daily. I wouldn't go with with the available rubber one due to the fact they'll be deteriorated within 18months or less. Only caution I can tell you is make sure that you keep the grease zerk hole oriented so that your grease gun will fit once the bushings are installed. Use lock tight and recheck your hardware after a few hundred or less miles.
      Russ

Originally posted by Eugene View Post
      Hi. I have a question on some Delrin bushings that I just got in the mail today. I paid $125.00 + shiping
      Has any one here used them or know about them.
      I am looking for some input please.
      Thay will be going on my 62 Daytona Lark.
      I will be puting them in the upper & lower A arms. left & right side.
      I hope some one here has used them before. Thanks much. Gene.

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
      53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
      57 SH (project)
      60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

I've had them for 6 years in my '63 Lark, driven daily. With stiffer springs and sway bar it rides stiffer than stock. I will trade the spongy ride for more feel while driving. But I enjoy driving.

Comment

Originally posted by rusty nut garage View Post
          I wouldn't go with with the available rubber one due to the fact they'll be deteriorated within 18months or less.
          This alone is the reason I'd go with them myself.
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

New rubber bushings (NOT old NOS) are available from Rare Parts thru' one of their distributors, such as EGGE - If you decide to not use the derlin. No personal experience - but, most Derlin suppliers note the harshness of the bushings may be objectionable - In other words, its up to you.
            Paul K

Comment

I've got NORS rubber bushings installed 2006 and I can't see any detrioration, or if any, any difference or breakdown in ride....Never been in a car with Delrin......but just for giggles, I "can" tell the difference between gas shocks and good originals....

Comment

Polyurethane would be a nice middle ground, huh Paul?

Tom
                '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                  This alone is the reason I'd go with them myself.
                  I would have to agree with that.
                  What's happening to the quality of these new rubber bushes?
                  pb

Comment

I think the problem ones are NOS that are past their life expectancy. Since you are in
                    Australia, can you do some legwork and see if any other vendors besides Noltec carry
                    polyurethane bushings for Stude? Noltec had them up to 2005 when they were bought
                    out by Whiteline.

Tom
                    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Contact and visit with our Studebaker vendors. There is manufacteur of rubber bushings out there that is making new (modern rubber) bushings that several of them are ordering from so the more cushioned rubber bushings are available that will hold up similar to modern rubber bushings. Some people have experienced fatigue cracking in the suspension parts running the Delrin bushing due to their hardness. See Bob Johnstone's discussion on the topic below:

http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/...ushingsrj.html
                      sigpic
                      John
                      63R-2386
                      Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

I have 10000 miles on mine and as yet see no problem with them. I would suggest acquiring longer grease fittings (I believe I got mine at NAPA) as the ones sent with the bushings were too short once installed making it difficult to get a gun on them.

Comment

Originally posted by sbca96 View Post
                          I think the problem ones are NOS that are past their life expectancy. Since you are in
                          Australia, can you do some legwork and see if any other vendors besides Noltec carry
                          polyurethane bushings for Stude? Noltec had them up to 2005 when they were bought
                          out by Whiteline.

Tom
                          Thanks Tom
                          Are the new bushes any better and how do you tell the difference between new and NOS?

Nolathane have a matching service if you know the diamension of the bushes.
                          Some brands we have are Super pro, Nolathane and Whiteline.
                          I found the Noltec part numbers for a 62 Lark so I hope there is a crossreference with the other brands.
                          pb

Comment

Originally posted by 63r2 View Post
                            Thanks Tom
                            Are the new bushes any better and how do you tell the difference between new and NOS?

Nolathane have a matching service if you know the diamension of the bushes.
                            Some brands we have are Super pro, Nolathane and Whiteline.
                            I found the Noltec part numbers for a 62 Lark so I hope there is a crossreference with the other brands.
                            pb
                            I really can not say, the last bushings I bought were for my Hawk, and I installed them
                            about 20 years ago! The Avanti is still using the original (or ones installed during the
                            restoration it received in the 80s before I bought it).

Here is a page from the Noltec catalog, AFAIK all Studebakers used the same bushings
                            from the early 50s until '66 and Avanti II after that :

Tom

Comment

I want to Thank all of you for the input,
                              So much to think about.
                              I am going to race this car 1/8th & 1/4 mile Drags,
                              But the car is being built as a Street & Strip car, "Old School" with a twist of modern thinking and a small budget.
                              Thank you all for the great advice and more.

Gene

Comment

Working...
                              X