Should I get a new fan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I get a new fan?

My fan has been hitting the shroud the last few times I've had the car out and I will be changing the motor mounts soon. The fan has small nicks on the edge of the blades. Not deep but nicks just the same. I think I know the answer to this question but I'll ask anyway. Should I change the fan blades also?
    Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO

If the nicks are small, file them so they are rounded to avoid stress cracks. Thats how we can save nicked fan blades on jet engines. A replacement fan should not be that expensive though.

Comment

These are cheap stamped steel. You can ignore them. Years ago I was working on a 68 Dodge Dart that some drunk had run into while parked. The radiator was jammed back over the fan. I pulled the fan off and beat the blades back somewhat into shape with a hammer. Ran fine but looked like hell. Needed a new radiator though .

Nathan

Comment

A friend of mine had a nice '67 Mustang...
        As he came by my place, there was this 'whack' sound and then he stopped.
        Said his engine was vibrating bad.
        Went to open his hood and noticed a nice 'slot' in the top of the hood.
        Went ahead and opened it and looked inside to see a three bladed fan.
        You are right.... Just cheap stamped sheet metal, some rivets, and some bolts.
        Jeff

Originally posted by nvonada View Post
        These are cheap stamped steel. You can ignore them. Years ago I was working on a 68 Dodge Dart that some drunk had run into while parked. The radiator was jammed back over the fan. I pulled the fan off and beat the blades back somewhat into shape with a hammer. Ran fine but looked like hell. Needed a new radiator though .

Nathan
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

It is a good practicet to check your fan blades periodically for stress cracks.

Do not repair , but replace a suspect fan. A fellow service manager had a fatality in his shop when a repaired fan blade that was welded broke and hit a mechanic.

Husband of Lark VIII girl

Comment

Was working on my 64 daytona yesterday. Went to sandblast the fan before I repainted it. Noticed two cracks opposite eash other near the rivits. Time for a new fan before it goes through the hood or through my head when I am timing the car!!!

T-Cab
            Last edited by T-CAB; 10-24-2010, 07:45 PM. Reason: typing error

Comment

Working...
            X