No announcement yet.

Non working gas gauge in 6V 52 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jeff success (sort of). After tracing wiring from the gas tank forward I found everything in good original condition with no alterations of any kind. I am amazed that my Champion is very much original. The bakelite blocks on the 52 is under the hood against the firewall fyi. I took the seat out, got on my back and viola, the gas gauge wire from the sender was not connected to the top post on the gauge, it was connected to what I believe is a circuit breaker (small aluminum box 1 1/2"x1"x3/4" with 2 terminal post) both post were hot. I disconnected the single wire that had been on the top post of the gauge (it is solid tan) hooked my black and red stripped wire to the gauge post and the gauge needle began to move up to 1/2 tank. The tank is full however. I thought I'd pull the sender unit and see if bending the wire with the float would help (don't know if this is what I should do) but as I went to lift the sending unit out the float arm fell off in the tank GRRRRRRRRRR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess the screw was not tight when I received it from SI and I never thought to check it. It is now somewhere in the tank and after 30 minutes of fishing for it with a coat hanger I gave up and said to hell with it. The tank is so full it's even with the sending unit hole. Course now the gauge is back to the way it was,( no reading). I'm assuming the metal wire that attaches to the float must be in contact with the metal flange with the slot in it that the wire arm travels between (right?) I'm getting no reading of any kind if I move the bracket with the screw in it that holds the arm and float assembly. I still don't know where the tan wire goes either. It comes out of the big bundle of wires. Everything works except the high blower on defrost. I'm still studying wire diagrams . best regards back to the ballgame
    1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

Comment

Ok. Sounds like there is some miswiring back there! Yes that can is a circuit breaker. One terminal of it should go off to the ammeter and the other one to the headlight switch and also to the stoplight switch. The power to the gauge should come from the ignition switch. I recall that you confirmed that was working.

It almost seems that the sender wire and the stoplight switch wire are swapped. The sender wire connected to the circuit breaker and the stoplight wire connected to the gauge from what you described. Should be the other way. Very possible that tan wire was originally red. So the black/red striped wire from the sender should attach to the gauge.

I've seen different designs for the senders so cannot comment on the one you have. Probably be easier to fish for the float if the tank is near empty! Dunno if you can fix it or not. If you turned the slot thingy on the sender with it not in the tank (I would assume) then you need to attach a ground wire from the sender body to the car to complete the circuit. MAybe you did that and it wasn't working anyway?

When the gauge went to 1/2 tank you are saying that once you moved the sender wire to the gauge it went to 1/2 and stayed there?

If the gauge wires are now in their correct locations, you can ground the sender wire at the sender and the gauge should peg on full. Then with it open circuit the gauge should be on Empty. That should confirm the gauge is OK and the wires. Also, there should not be any sparks when now!!

Leave that tan wire off and tape it up and I bet the stop lights are not working. Check for 6v at the stoplight switch with the wire off and then hook it to the circuit breaker (on the other side from the terminal going to the ammeter). There should be 6v there with it on and not with it off. If that is not the case, then maybe that is not the stop light switch power wire...

Jeff in ND

Comment

Jeff, brake lights still working. I did tape up the wire and left it alone. Studied your diagram for hours last night while I watched the ballgame. Yes the gauge went to 1/2 and stayed there. It was when I went to remove the sender the darn float fell out. Now gauge sits on zero. I'll have to drain the tank and hopefully recover the arm/float aassembly. I'll double check at the stop light switch and try that tan wire I bet it is red and faded. It's my Sunday project. I had hooked the tan(red?) wire to the circuit breaker and I got now pull on my ammeter. My ammeter is sensitive and I can detect any power draw by watching the needle. I got nary a flutter out of the needle when I hooked that tan/red wire up but being cautious I dissconnected it and taped it up.
        1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

Comment

No sparks at the sender anymore.

Comment

Yes the gauge went to 1/2 full and stayed there when I hooked up the blk/red stripe wire to the top most gauge post with the key on.

Comment

Gas gauge pegs full when I hook sender wire to screw on sender. I still have to fish my float out of the tank. Hopefully the sending unit will function properly. After studying the car I found that the red wire to the stop switch had been snipped off by the switch as it came out the harness and a replacement wire had been run to the stop switch from the voltage regulator under the hood. Someone didn't know what they were doing before I ever got the car. Jeff, KUDOS TO YOU, thanks for helping me figure this out I really appreciate you efforts and knowledge. best regards, Patrick

Comment

Glad you are getting there. Its always more trouble to figure out these problems when someone has made modifications from stock. If you can get the wiring to match the stock configuration then at least you have a starting point to troubleshoot from! Who knows why they changed the power wire for the stoplights

A studebaker wiring diagram is pretty simple compared to a modern car. Even a mid 80s car that I have the diagrams for is about 35 (yes 35) sheets of 11x17 paper laid end to end. Not large print either. Thats why the mfgr had a separate electical troubleshooting manual with "simplified" diagrams in it to help in diagnosis. That manual is about another 120 pages.

Jeff in ND

Comment

It's why I enjoy this Champion so much, simplicity. I have a 69 Mark III, a 73 Mark IV, a 78 Town Car, and a 66 Tbird convert. A buddy here locally sold me the Champion that he'd been married in in 1960. His wife got him a new Bass Boat for their 50th, and he wanted the garage. He was beside himself selling it because everyone that looked at it wanted to low-rider it. He came out to the store made me an offer I couldn't refuse because he knew I'm a fanatic about originality in my classic cars. I've been painstakingly restoring the undercarriage , and engine bay, it's complete and looks just like it rolled off the showroom. It will receive a new paint job and weatherseals in the future. Dr. Phillips painted it black at some time and it was Tahoe Green. It has to be original in my book. It's a really nice rust free Texas car. I hope to get it's pics posted here when I have a spare moment. THANKS AGAIN!!

Comment

Working...
                  X