55 speedster dg250 transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55 speedster dg250 transmission

does any one out there know a person or shop that will rebuild my DG250 transmission and torque converter. I would like to find some one near me. I live in So California in the high deasert near Palmdale
    I've tried to email John Metzker but it comes back with email uknown

I have a good DG250M. I will be attending the Zone Meet in Ontario. This is a 1st gear start. It was working when I pulled it out. Let me know if you want it. To rebuild a DG250M would cost $2000 plus. Roy 530-320-6299

Comment

John doesn't really want much to do with the SAD transmissions. There were about a hundred modifications made to these transmissions in the time Studebaker used them, and by '55 they worked pretty good. However, the average owner, that is one without a lot of skills and money to spend, is better off converting to Flightomatic rather than getting involved in a complete rebuild on the early transmission.
      AL SORAN RACING

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
        There were about a hundred modifications made to these transmissions in the time Studebaker used them, and by '55 they worked pretty good.
        YIKES! I never knew that! I guess this puts the non-stop running changes of the 55-56 Packard Ultramatic to shame.

Comment

If you don't locate a Studebaker guy, try someone that works on 1960s Jaguar. Jaguar used the DG 250. I have repaired a Jaguar transmission with Studebaker parts. It should work the other way around. Get someone with experience with this particular transmission, not someone that feels that they can fix any AT.

Why does your transmission need a complete rebuild? If it is that bad (surprising), get a replacement transmission. A correct, complete rebuild will be very expensive.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Unless you know there is a problem with your transmission, just flush and fill it.

The DG250M in my '55 Pres State Sedan, had 72,000 on it when the car was retired to a field in 1979. In 2008 I drained all the fluid and replaced it with new Dextron III. The car runs and drives just like it did when it was new. Yeah, it leaks a little, but that just keeps clean oil in it.

Comment

Working...
            X