Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just driving down the road....

Example -

Back in the early 80's, my brother had been drag racing his 56 Nomad. 292 V-8, (over bored 283), Muncie 4-speed.
    AFTER....the races he was taking his girlfriend home. At a red light, he noticed a cop behind him so he drove off normally.

During the shift into second gear..all hell "broke" loose......the flywheel exploded, which obviously also took out the pressure plate. It also tore thru the brake line to the rear brakes...which in those days...took out both front AND rear.
    It tore up the floor, cut the tip off of his boot (missed his toes!) and installed a big chunck of pressure plate into the bottom of the shifter handle...SOMEHOW...missed his fingers.

Now maybe like you...I really didn't believe the speed or what he was actually doing during all of this. My mom also noted that the cop whitnessed the whole thing and actually took my brother and his girlfriend home (mom's house) and told her the story.

SO...all this is to say...the damage can come at any time....the finalized outcome...can ALSO, come at any, possibly later time..like driving down the freeway after a spirited freeway onramp tromp..!

I've got a simillar story about the left rear axle in my 56, 210 sedan, that I'll leave for now...

If you value your car and famillys feelings....well...you know..

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Van Veghten; 10-29-2010, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
      Do you have a measurement on the width of that S-10 Blazer rear end from wheel mount surface to wheel mount surface? Also what gear ratio did you find?

thanks

Pat
      Pat , I can't find my original measurements, which is funny 'cause I usually hang onto info like this forever...but I can tell you the rearend I installed was from a 89 s-blazer, 2wd that was equipped with a standard trans. I used a hybrid u-joint to mate the stock stude driveshaft to the chevy rearend...Shaftmaster D5-3022-rwd.
      I had a rear brake hose fabbed that basically was a direct copy of a BH177328 for 89 s-blazer except the end that attaches to the Stude rear brake line was the standard 3/16" flare instead of the blazer's 1/4" flare. I suppose I could have found a line that fit without having one fabbed, but the fabbed one was only a few $ more than a stock hose, and the hoseshop was a 5 min drive from where I work. Sorry I can't give the exact measurement, hopefully someone else can. Junior.
      sigpic
      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

The rear end is 54" wide, allowing you to get in 8" wheels with a 4'' backspacing. The rear end I used was
        from a 98 2wd blazer, with disc. The brake hose works with an adapter fitting. Ratio on this one is 3:42

Comment

Thanks for the information guys, might just be the right solution for my Conestoga.

Pat
          Pat Dilling
          Olivehurst, CA
          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Hello to all. I have a set of Traction Masters cast steel axle brackets as shown in the photos by Flashback in this thread. I have no use for them. Is there a market for these in the Studebaker world? Value? Just crusin the web and saw the pictures posted. Any input appreciated. New forum member Kram350. Regards all.

Comment

Junior, I agree with you 100%. They totally prevent spring windup and rhat eliminates wheel hop. Dan

Comment

Originally posted by KRAM350 View Post
                Hello to all. I have a set of Traction Masters cast steel axle brackets as shown in the photos by Flashback in this thread. I have no use for them. Is there a market for these in the Studebaker world? Value? Just crusin the web and saw the pictures posted. Any input appreciated. New forum member Kram350. Regards all.
                Sent You a message
                1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
                Lewisville,NC

Comment

WOW--traction masters and lowering blocks----I feel like I'm looking at an old J.C. Whitney Catalogue!!

Comment

Yep it's straight from 1962. a real flashback. How about Honest Charley's Speed Shop.

Comment

Now all you need is sparkle vinyl upholstery.
                      Bez Auto Alchemy
                      573-318-8948
                      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                      X