No announcement yet.

Brake shoe alternatives/cross-reference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The header over that listing FOR ONLY 3 MODELS, says it ALL!

Quote: "NEW BRAKE SHOES No core charge".

The "RELINED BRAKE SHOES" are relined on cores in stock, which is why they need your cores to reline, and the rare ones must be shipped BEFORE any relined ones can be shipped to you.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Just out of curiosity, how about some feedback on pricing. My bill at the local FLAPS was $54.00. That included a full set of rear brake shoes (no core charge), new front and back wheel cylinder kits, a master cylinder re-build kit, and a large bottle of brake fluid.

Today, I went back for some Type F transmission fluid. while I was there, I gave them the Wagner part numbers "dpson" posted above for the brake shoes. They said they would make some phone calls Monday and call me back. Nice guys.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

In addition to having to remove the front passenger drum because of seized brakes, the rear driver brake was dragging. Back to the old drum puller to remove this one.

Do you think this one needs slight adjusting?
        Click image for larger version

Name:	lark rear brake.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1663815
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
          (unless you guys keep hording the cores)
          I aquired these cores with a collection of Stude parts that I got from a friend (along with about three truck loads of other stuff). I finally decided that it was time to get better organized and see what I really have. I will go through all of the cores and see what I have then notify a couple of vendors. A couple sets of shoes have been stripped of their linings and bead blasted. Would these be acceptable or are they now trash?
          Jamie McLeod
          Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
          1958 Commander "Christine"
          1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
          1955 Commander Sedan
          1964 Champ
          1960 Lark

Comment

I usually have my brake shoes relined by a local brake and clutch place. Economical and fast. Just need to tell them if you want power lining or manual brake lining. There is a difference in the material. Non power brakes generally use a softer lining for good stopping with less pedal pressure. Of course this approach only works if you live in or near a large metropolitan area.
            Frank van Doorn
            Omaha, Ne.
            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
            1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
            1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Heck Jamie, If you were not 225 miles away, I'd drive over and see if you'd let me pick through them for one with enough lining left for "back yard" driving.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I'll look in the morning and see if there are any that will work for you. 225 miles is not bad, I work for Fedex.
                Jamie McLeod
                Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                1958 Commander "Christine"
                1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                1955 Commander Sedan
                1964 Champ
                1960 Lark

Comment

Originally posted by starliner62 View Post
                  I'll look in the morning and see if there are any that will work for you. 225 miles is not bad, I work for Fedex.
                  Thanks Jamie, if you want, you can PM me if you find any.

Before dark, I adjusted those rear shoes pictured above in so they would be away from the drum, slapped the wheel back on and drove around the house a few times. It takes a lot of discipline to keep from pressing the brakes even while driving on level ground! Lots of memories flooding back while playing with this thing. The factory radio works, the FM converter hidden in the dash works, aftermarket under dash cassette player still works, the CB radio still works, and surprise surprise...the clock works!
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                  X